Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grid issues...
(02-13-2024, 01:40 AM)swiss2008 Wrote: I have one more question if I may, so I have my grid I'm happy with it but I want to colour every cell on the grid differently but when I try to in Gimp the whole background gets coloured, ie the program isn't seeing the grid or the grid isn't part of the image, how do I make it part of the image so I can colour each cell with bucket fill?  Thank you!

Only way I know of is to rectangle select each (square/rectangle) then fill with the colour you want. Or make your own grid over the one that is there.
That grid is not seen in the picture. Like guides are not 'seen' in the end result.
There may be a way, I'll keep looking. OK I found out how you can do it.
I tried from the edit menu and the fill with bucket is greyed out. You need to go to the tools menu up the top and click on bucket fill from there. Make sure the + sign is what is over the square you want filled.
Does it if you select the bucket fill from the toolbox too. You just have to be careful to use the + as your marker

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Smile
(02-13-2024, 01:40 AM)swiss2008 Wrote: I have one more question if I may, so I have my grid I'm happy with it but I want to colour every cell on the grid differently but when I try to in Gimp the whole background gets coloured, ie the program isn't seeing the grid or the grid isn't part of the image, how do I make it part of the image so I can colour each cell with bucket fill?  Thank you!

You need to use the bucket fill tool.
BUT ➤ it mandatory to adjust things in the Tool Options
you have to select Fill by line art detection and adjust other settings like Fill transparent area if your grid is on a transparent layers,
Select if the grid is above the current layer, the layer itself, etc...
Also you have to do some tests with the last 3 sliders (growing/detection threshold/ max gap) to fine tune the "line art" detection and the growing over the grid or not.
Once you're set, it's piece of cake Big Grin

Last but not least you can let the window Change Foreground Color open, while changing color, it will apply live, so no need to hit the button OK, and then re-open that window, just change the color ➤ bucket fill ➤ change the color ➤ bucket fill, and so on Wink
Patrice
(02-13-2024, 03:30 AM)sallyanne Wrote:

Only way I know of is to rectangle select each (square/rectangle) then fill with the colour you want. Or make your own grid over the one that is there.
That grid is not seen in the picture. Like guides are not 'seen' in the end result.
There may be a way, I'll keep looking. OK I found out how you can do it.
I tried from the edit menu and the fill with bucket is greyed out. You need to go to the tools menu up the top and click on bucket fill from there. Make sure the + sign is what is over the square you want filled.
Does it if you select the bucket fill from the toolbox too. You just have to be careful to use the + as your marker
Thank you although I still got the same result...
In the bucket-fill, picks the "By line art detection", and speficy the grid layer as the layer of the lineart (instead of the layer you are painting on). if you want random colors in the grid I have a script.

Most tools will have a small + as a cursor unless you've changed it
You can change it here

Smile
(02-13-2024, 04:55 AM)PixLab Wrote:

You need to use the bucket fill tool.
BUT ➤ it mandatory to adjust things in the Tool Options
you have to select Fill by line art detection and adjust other settings like Fill transparent area if your grid is on a transparent layers,
Select if the grid is above the current layer, the layer itself, etc...
Also you have to do some tests with the last 3 sliders (growing/detection threshold/ max gap) to fine tune the "line art" detection and the growing over the grid or not.
Once you're set, it's piece of cake Big Grin

Last but not least you can let the window Change Foreground Color open, while changing color, it will apply live, so no need to hit the button OK, and then re-open that window, just change the color ➤ bucket fill ➤ change the color ➤ bucket fill, and so on Wink

I did all of this but still no joy, I don't suppose you could post a video?

(02-14-2024, 12:52 AM)sallyanne Wrote: Most tools will have a small + as a cursor unless you've changed it
You can change it here

Appreciate your post, I know I seem really bad but honestly I do know how to use the pointer lol

(02-13-2024, 06:18 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: In the bucket-fill, picks the "By line art detection", and speficy the grid layer as the layer of the lineart (instead of the layer you are painting on). if you want random colors in the grid I have a script.

You have got me the closest to getting it done, I can now colour the tiles but the grid disappears (see example) when I do so, how can I stop this?  Thank you for the offer!! Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-14-2024, 11:42 PM)swiss2008 Wrote: I did all of this but still no joy, I don't suppose you could post a video?

I can... Wink

Best way to learn what's the bucket fill tool is all about > https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tool-...-fill.html
Patrice
Here is my take on it. Much the same as PixLab.

Make your grid in a new transparent layer. Duplicate the layer. Then back down to the first grid and make that active. That will keep the grid nice and sharp.

Into the bucket fill tool and choose Fill by line art detection Still in tool options set Line Art Detection source to Active layer.

Then start fill in the grid. You can change colours using the FG / BG swatch or the colors dock as PixLab shows or bring up the palette edit dock and pick from that. Up to you.

50 second animation. https://i.imgur.com/xHcPyvj.mp4
(02-15-2024, 01:14 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(02-14-2024, 11:42 PM)swiss2008 Wrote: I did all of this but still no joy, I don't suppose you could post a video?

I can... Wink

Best way to learn what's the bucket fill tool is all about > https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tool-...-fill.html

Brilliant thank you, but that video demonstrates my problem, right at the end, two tiles are coloured next to each other and the grid line between the tiles disappears?
(02-15-2024, 06:02 PM)swiss2008 Wrote: Brilliant thank you, but that video demonstrates my problem, right at the end, two tiles are coloured next to each other and the grid line between the tiles disappears?

Just put the layer with the grid above the colored layer when you have finished the coloring, and all the grid lines will all be visible Wink

Or before to start coloring, put the grid above to color on a new layer below that grid and change the settings in the Bucket fill tool options to "Source ➤ Layer above the active one"... that's another solution  Wink
Patrice