Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change a specific color by another
Hi there ! I'm currently using GIMP to recolor some pokemon sprites and I wanted to know if it's possible to change every specific color present on the image by another, for example, I want all paleturquoise pixels to be turned into dark turquoise pixels without having to change manually the color of each pixel. ? If it's not possible, is it possible to select all pixels of a specific color in the image (actually I'm not talking about that magic wand) so that all paleturquoise pixels are highlighted/selected ?
Thanks in advance !
Quote:Hi there ! I'm currently using GIMP to recolor some pokemon sprites...

Are these in indexed mode? It will tell you top of the main Gimp window. If in indexed mode you can can change colours in the color map Windows -> Dockable Dialogues -> Color Map
(08-08-2019, 12:33 AM)Gammazeth Wrote: Hi there ! I'm currently using GIMP to recolor some pokemon sprites and I wanted to know if it's possible to change every specific color present on the image by another, for example, I want all paleturquoise pixels to be turned into dark turquoise pixels without having to change manually the color of each pixel. ? If it's not possible, is it possible to select all pixels of a specific color in the image (actually I'm not talking about that magic wand) so that all paleturquoise pixels are highlighted/selected ?
Thanks in advance !

Next to the wand selector in the toolbox, there is the "Color selector" ( SelectByColor in 2.8).

However...

There may be more pixels to change. On the edge of pale turquoise areas, you may have pixels that are a blend of pale turquoise and the color or the area on the other side. If you don"t edit these properly, you end up with either a faint rim of pale turquoise, or a pixelated edge. To correctly process these, you have to first remove pale-turquoise to replace it by transparency (these edge pixels become partially transparent), and then fill the transparency with the new color (the edge pixels will autmatically get the right color blend). The process is covered more in depth here.

If the image is color indexed, convert to full-RGB (Image>Mode>RGB) and eventually convert back to color-indexed when done.
(08-08-2019, 07:41 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:Hi there ! I'm currently using GIMP to recolor some pokemon sprites...

Are these in indexed mode? It will tell you top of the main Gimp window. If in indexed mode you can can change colours in the color map Windows -> Dockable Dialogues -> Color Map

This assumes that there are no pixels that are a blend of pale turquoise and something else (anti-aliasing pixels). Otherwise you would have to find these other colors an dedit them accordingly (assuming they are only used in edge pixels).
After some research, I actually found out that there was a trick with the eraser on paint, is there something similar on GIMP ?
Perhaps, if you describe the "trick with the erase on Paint". But beware of simplistic solutions...
@Ofnuts Yeah...but...

Quote:This assumes that there are no pixels that are a blend of pale turquoise and something else

These pokemon sprites are typically indexed png pixel art with a limited colour map.

[Image: VWI77RQ.jpg]

Wonder what became of our friend who used to post with the exclamation key stuck ?
Mine isn't an indexed one

"The eraser trick" is a trick you can perform on paint, it consists on right clicking the color you want to change to with the color picker, and left clicking the color you want to be changed with the color picker, then you use the eraser and hover all over the sprite while holding the right click
RGB Sprite ?

Try Colors -> Map -> Color Exchange GEGL filter with nice on canvas display (with split for before/after if you need it) See the effects of the To color as you choose/adjust it.

https://i.imgur.com/zvhc59m.jpg
It kinda works, thanks !