Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing Colour around an Image
I hope that someone can help. I wish to make the area outside of the writing in the attached image clear, leaving the black outline of the writing and the green in-fill. However, I can only change all of the green to clear or none of it. Is there a way to fill in the writing without doing the background as well?

Thank you.

Jamie.
All sorts of ways to get a result. Using the fuzzy tool.

1. Add Transparency Layer -> Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel
2. Select the fuzzy select tool, set the threshold to a small value 4 or 5 for this image.
3. Using the fuzzy tool options (add to selection) select inside the lettering. (you can go the other way and select back ground but I think this is better)
4. Grow the selection by a pixel or two Select -> Grow
5. Invert the selection Select -> Invert
6. Cut the selection. Select -> Cut
7. Improve the border choose a border colour, Edit -> Stroke selection use a small value 1 pixel. It will give a little bit more "anti-aliasing" for visual smoothness.
8. Turn selection off Selection -> None

Just about get that into 60 seconds for imgur video https://i.imgur.com/fyKTv7P.mp4

There are other, better ways, converting the logo to an SVG using ImageMagick program for example.
Thank you for your detailed reply, Rich. I assumed that it could be done, but I am onlyscratching at the very surface of what Gimp can do at the moment. I shall give this a go and look into ImageMagick.

James.
Quote:... I am only scratching at the very surface of what Gimp can do at the moment. I shall give this a go and look into ImageMagick...

I did look at creating a path from your image and have to confess it is not absolute beginner material. There are overlapping paths and plenty hand editing involved. Stick with Gimp and selections for the moment.

I will attach the Gimp path I created, logo.svg.  Unzip the attachment, then it is added to an image with a right-click and Import path from the paths dock. Why a path? It can be scaled up or down without degradation. 

In Gimp like this; Very quick demo to again fit into 60 seconds Wink. https://i.imgur.com/V6YcISY.mp4 something to try out in the future.

Attached Files
.zip   logo.zip (Size: 7.27 KB / Downloads: 109)
Good evening, Rich.

Thank you very much for your second post and your help with this image. With the use of your path file and video, I have been able to recreate what you did and to create the logo that I wanted. You have saved me many hours of frustration trying to work out what to do. I need to tweak the alignment of some parts of the image to straighten up the writing, but I believe that I can do this.

Thank you.

James.
Almost there. I realised that I now have the writing on its own in a solid colour, but that I have lost the outline of the letters. I wish to retain this to define the script more sharply. I plan to try layering a coloured script with a transparent one with just the outline. Fingers crossed.
James.
Quote:....I realised that I now have the writing on its own in a solid colour, but that I have lost the outline of the letters. I wish to retain this to define the script more sharply. ...

Using the path (or original procedure, the selection) The more defined / different colour border comes from
Edit -> Stroke Path ( Edit -> Stroke selection)
(09-16-2020, 07:14 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:....I realised that I now have the writing on its own in a solid colour, but that I have lost the outline of the letters. I wish to retain this to define the script more sharply. ...

Using the path (or original procedure, the selection) The more defined / different colour border comes from
Edit -> Stroke Path ( Edit -> Stroke selection)

Thank you for all of your help with my question. I have now been able to edit the image and create exactly what I was hoping to achieve. To be honest, it looks better than I had anticipated.

Regards,

James.