Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing contrast of a text layer works as preview, but not after confirming
Hey folks,

I'm using Gimp 2.10 and have the problem that a modification doesn't take effekt.

I created a text field (which is created automatically as a separate layer) with a specific text.
Then I wanted to change the contrast of the text/layer. In the contrast window I get the preview of how the "new" text will look like.
However when clicking on the "OK" button, the modification is withdrawn and the old text remains.

What could be the reason for that? And what could be done to get this issue fixed?

I'd be grateful for every hint!

Kind regards,
X3nion
I tried to reproduce it, I can't it works as it should work (change the contrast on the text layer)
Can you provide a full screenshot (layers/tools options included) with that contrast widow on top just before you click OK?
Quote: ...Then I wanted to change the contrast of the text/layer. In the contrast window I get the preview of how the "new" text will look like....

Numerous ways of adjusting a layer, but AFAIK there is no specific contrast tool. Which tool are you using.
Test with text on white layer : Colours / Brightness- Contrast... (contrast set on -120) . Gimp 2.10.24 (revision 2) / windows 10 .

(09-02-2021, 09:57 AM)denzjos Wrote: Test with text on white layer : Colours / Brightness- Contrast... (contrast set on -120) . Gimp 2.10.24 (revision 2) / windows 10 .

Yes, that is one way.  This is the bit I am querying

Quote:....In the contrast window I get the preview of how the "new" text will look like....

The GEGL filter works on the canvas, there is no contrast window or a preview (as with older gimp plugins) 
Just wondering what the OP is using.
Hey and thanks for all your replies!

On one notebook I use Gimp 2.10.4 with Windows 8.1
I added a video (see P.S. section below where there is a link to my Telekom cloud) where you can see what goes wrong. When changing the contrast [I selected the area, went on layer (German: "Ebene", then colours (German: "Farben"), then brightness/contrast (German: Helligkeit/Kontrast") ], you can see that from the value 124 on the text becomes more bold in the preview. However, everything is rejected after pressing "OK".

On another notebook I just installed Gimp 2.10.24 with Windows 10.
Interestingly, there is no change at all in the contrast, even from value 124 on to 127.
So is this maybe a bug in Gimp 2.10.4?

But generally my question is: How can I then make the text more bold? The text font unfortunately doesn't allow a bond type, and I'd like the letters to be a little more bond.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards,
X3nion

P.S. Video link: Video
So I don't have that bug "Colors/Brightness-constrast" it works exactly as intended, when I click Ok i got the contrast in the that I saw in the "Preview"

Having said that, and how about to increase the font boldness when the font text cannot anymore as it it at full bold, this is how I do it
Once my text is written, I right click on the text layer > Then Alpha to selection
Then Menu/Select/Grow... > input the number of pixels you want to grow
(it's always a good thing to save your selection (Select > Save to Channel)
Then New layer > fill the selection with the color you which (drag n drop a color from your FG/BG or use the bucket tool), you can also use pattern or even a gradient to fill the selection
@X3nion

Do not make a selection before applying the GEGL brightness-contrast filter.
Hey PixLab and Thanks for your explanations!

The hint works very fine, however, 1px is still too bold. Is there another possibility to let it grow only a little bit?
And the second thing is, that the "blur" effect of the font gets lost. Is there any way to make it only a little bit more bold keeping the structure?

The way it works in the preview window on my other notebook would be great because of the fine adjustment facility.

I added a picture so that you can see what I mean.

Kind regards,
X3nion

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(09-02-2021, 12:49 PM)X3nion Wrote: Hey PixLab and Thanks for your explanations!

The hint works very fine, however, 1px is still too bold. Is there another possibility to let it grow only a little bit?
And the second thing is, that the "blur" effect of the font gets lost. Is there any way to make it only a little bit more bold keeping the structure?

The way it works in the preview window on my other notebook would be great because of the fine adjustment facility.

I added a picture so that you can see what I mean.

Kind regards,
X3nion

Wow, I've never worked with a so tiny font size (I mean just a pixel or two wide)
I would use a median blur (Filters/Median blur) or a mean curvature blur an play with the "iterations" slider (Filters/Mean curvature blur) to make them looks like a more "real font", try it but let's face it -> this is out of my knowledge this kind of tiny fonts (sorry)
May be write it "normal" size and reduce the layer size after?