Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing grid preferences doesn't do anything
I went to view>and selected grid to better compare the placement of 2 items. The mesh was too close though. So I went to Edit>Preferences>Default grid and tried different numbers in the spacing setting and pressed ok after each try. The grid continues to look the same! What am I doing wrong?
There are 2 types of grid

FIRST
Filters > Render > Pattern > Grid
Lines are drawn on the current layer and these lines become part of the image.

SECOND
This grid is used with View > Show Grid and View > Snap to Grid
This grid is not part of the image and will not Export ie it remains in the xcf only.
Use Edit > Preferences > Default Image > Default Grid to set the defaults when Gimp creates a new image.
Use Image > Configure Grid to change the settings for the current image.
Quote:...So I went to Edit>Preferences>Default grid and tried different numbers in the spacing setting and pressed ok after each try. The grid continues to look the same! What am I doing wrong?

You need to restart Gimp for this setting to take effect.
(12-19-2019, 12:28 PM)rich2005 Wrote: You need to restart Gimp for this setting to take effect.
Note for those like me who have plenty of images opened, modified, and it would be *really* a PITA to restart Gimp:

You can select_all + copy + file New + paste.
The new image will apply the new Grid settings.

Gimp ergonomics...
(12-19-2019, 12:28 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:...So I went to Edit>Preferences>Default grid and tried different numbers in the spacing setting and pressed ok after each try. The grid continues to look the same! What am I doing wrong?

You need to restart Gimp for this setting to take effect.

Not as far as I can tell (at least when it comes to the grid in a new image)?
(08-28-2021, 08:12 AM)Pois Chiche Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 12:28 PM)rich2005 Wrote: You need to restart Gimp for this setting to take effect.
Note for those like me who have plenty of images opened, modified, and it would be *really* a PITA to restart Gimp:

You can select_all + copy + file New + paste.
The new image will apply the new Grid settings.

Gimp ergonomics...

Do this only if your image has only one layer (not mentioning selection, channels, and paths), otherwise you'll lose work.

But you didn't read the rest, to change the grid for the current image, see Image ➤ Configure grid...

User reading abilities.... Smile