Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Channel packing textures
I'm trying pack 3 grayscale textures in a RGB file, one texture for channel.
None of the tutorials and docs that I find works...

How can I paste grayscale data in a selected channel?

Is it possible at all in Gimp?

* Edited with a solution

Solution:

1- Uninstall Gimp 
2- Install Krita
The solution Gimp 2.10.30

Colors -> Components -> Compose 

Otherwise with Gimp:

Three groups,  each group:
  • The top layer filled with the channel color (Pure red, green or blue) set to Multiply mode
  • The bottom layer is your channel image (grayscale or else, only the R,G, or B component will be taken in account
  • Group set to Addition mode

(04-16-2022, 05:25 PM)rich2005 Wrote: The solution Gimp 2.10.30

Thanks for the answer!

I reinstalled gimp to check it out but It seems like I only can assign one layer per channel, in krita you can have several layers creating each channel.

There's no way to asign wich channels do you want a specific layer to affect?

(04-16-2022, 05:33 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Otherwise with Gimp:

• The top layer filled with the channel color (Pure red, green or blue) set to Multiply mode
  • The bottom layer is your channel image (grayscale or else, only the R,G, or B component will be taken in account
Thanks!
but a ton of work for a simple thing!
In krita you click on the R, the G or the B....
(04-16-2022, 06:05 PM)Isrraka Wrote:
(04-16-2022, 05:25 PM)rich2005 Wrote: The solution Gimp 2.10.30

Thanks for the answer!

I reinstalled gimp to check it out but It seems like I only can assign one layer per channel, in krita you can have several layers creating each channel.

There's no way to asign wich channels do you want a specific layer to affect?

(04-16-2022, 05:33 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Otherwise with Gimp:

Thanks!
but a ton of work for a simple thing!
In krita you click on the R, the G or the B....

OK, so I scripted it, see ofn-layer-decompose here.
Thanks for the script!

I downloaded and installed the plugin, but I can't find how to use it.
Don't worry, It doesn't matter, because the organization of the layers in the file is unusable to do real work.

I'm talking about one of the most basic features a raster should have: Control which channel of an RGB file you are affecting.

After +10 years I had enough of assbackwards GUI.

Photoshop, krita -> 1 click
Gimp -> Create multilayered file with mask dependencies in the correct order so you can do (barely) the same.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
(04-17-2022, 12:00 PM)Isrraka Wrote: Thanks for the script!

Don't worry, It doesn't matter, because the organization of the layers in the file is unusable to do real work.

I'm talking about one of the most basic features a raster should have: Control which channel of an RGB file you are affecting.

Gimp -> Create multilayered file with mask dependencies in the correct order so you can do (barely) the same.

You go to the Channels list and you select the channels you want ot act on...

This said with the script's setup you can just use gray scale...
On GIMP did you tried Filters ➤ G'MIC ➤ Colors ➤ Channel Processing ? you can work per channel... and it has plenty of channels Big Grin
Or type channel in the G'MIC search box

Quote:Photoshop, krita -> 1 click
Um... No, on Krita it's not even 1 click, it's just F3 Big Grin )
(04-17-2022, 03:12 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(04-17-2022, 12:00 PM)Isrraka Wrote: Thanks for the script!

You go to the Channels list and you select the channels you want ot act on...

This said with the script's setup you can just use gray scale...

Thanks!

Tested and it works well, finally. But, to me, It's insane that you had to script such a basic feature.
As always with Gimp, you have to battle constantly the software to do the most basic things.... I'm really tired of this soft. I'm switching to krita.

(04-17-2022, 07:00 PM)PixLab Wrote: On GIMP did you tried Filters ➤ G'MIC ➤ Colors ➤ Channel Processing ? you can work per channel... and it has plenty of channels  Big Grin
Or type channel in the G'MIC search box

Quote:Photoshop, krita -> 1 click
Um... No, on Krita it's not even 1 click, it's just F3  Big Grin )

Thanks for the info... but when you need to enter 4 submenus for the most basic things.... it's not an usable software.

Yeah, layer properties... how hard it can be!  Instead: Blend mode in one place, size in another, channels...o god.., etc.... 

It really seems like only Gimp developers are using gimp... and it shows..
(04-17-2022, 08:15 PM)Isrraka Wrote: Yeah, layer properties... how hard it can be!  Instead: Blend mode in one place, size in another, channels...o god.., etc.... 

It really seems like only Gimp developers are using gimp... and it shows..

You can ask them to do it as a new feature ➤ https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues
I'll just add to ask nicely even though you want to be harsh on them (you're not alone to feel that way) BUT you cannot be harsh, it's a very tiny-tiny team with only 1 or 2 developers working on their free time (they have a job and a life beside the project), GIMP is more than 20 or 25 years old, my last "bug" report I felt they were desperate Confused
It's not their fault at all, they do what they can with a lot of heart.

Having said that, GIMP has some fantastic tools/features/filters than Krita does not have and vice-versa, I have both software and for me both are very good Wink