Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Clock face with color
I need help, I want to make a clock face (for watch) with the numbers 3, 6, 9 and 12 with color and other black color, but I do not know how to start with it.
(05-01-2020, 05:45 PM)hendrikbez Wrote: I need help, I want to make a clock face (for watch) with the numbers 3, 6, 9 and 12 with color and other black color, but I do not know how to start with it.
The quick answer is use individual characters 1 to 12 Each can have an individual colour. These can be rotated if required. I would advise going that way.

There is another way, a bit more advanced, putting number text along a path. That generates another path of the numbers. Put that to a selection and paint in the selections as required. The text font really needs to be a mono-spaced and the circle size has to be calculated from the length of the text. Really for when you get more experience.
I will attach the xcf.gz file, opens straight up in Gimp, have a look at the layers and paths as an example. The font is freemono bold. Not sure if that comes with Windows.

Attached Files
.gz   watch2.xcf.gz (Size: 29.07 KB / Downloads: 110)
No need for monospace, using ofn-path-to-shape to generate segments and ofn-text-along-path ("Multi" mode) to put the numbers on them:

PS: And come to think of it, in most fonts all the digits have the same width anyway. But of course if you use roman numerals this is no longer true:

Hi Ofnuts,
Were the segments in the previous image generated by ofn-path-to-shape?

How do I rotate the segments to move from the red position to the black position using the ofn-path-to-shape?

Merci.
I do not know what the authorized method is Wink There are various ways of making a polygon with Ofnuts shape plugin. However:
You can make a regular polygon from a radius , start point and paths (any length / direction) for the number of sides. Start with 15 deg or vertical and rotate later.
Shapes -> On Strokes -> Polygon -> Polygon from circumradius https://i.imgur.com/G0c3XKt.jpg
Then shrink the sides down
Shapes -> On segments -> Modify segments. Keep the start and finish symmetrical https://i.imgur.com/kVt8cqQ.jpg
(08-17-2020, 12:53 PM)Krikor Wrote: Hi Ofnuts,

How do I rotate the segments to move from the red position to the black position using the ofn-path-to-shape?

Merci.

Shapes>On segments>Transform segments>Rotate segments.

Or you do as Rich, generate a polygon instead of spokes. Since you center the numbers, you don't even need to shrink the sides.
(08-17-2020, 02:11 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I do not know what the authorized method is Wink There are various ways of making a polygon with Ofnuts shape plugin. However:
You can make a regular polygon from a radius , start point and paths (any length / direction) for the number of sides. Start with 15 deg or vertical and rotate later.  
Shapes -> On Strokes -> Polygon -> Polygon from circumradius   https://i.imgur.com/G0c3XKt.jpg
Then shrink the sides down
Shapes -> On segments -> Modify segments. Keep the start and finish symmetrical https://i.imgur.com/kVt8cqQ.jpg

(08-17-2020, 02:54 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(08-17-2020, 12:53 PM)Krikor Wrote: Hi Ofnuts,

Merci.

Shapes>On segments>Transform segments>Rotate segments.

Or you do as Rich, generate a polygon instead of spokes. Since you center the numbers, you don't even need to shrink the sides.

That looks like magic! Never would I intuitively find that way. Thank you very much Rich2005, you are a genius!

Hmm, I don't have any "Transform segments" options in my plugin. It must be out of date. I'll download the latest version and check it out!
Thx Ofnuts!

I updated the plugin, but still doesn't have the 'Transform segments' option between the menus.  Huh

Hmm. Right. This is in my development version. I really need o find the time and incentive to publish it Wink
(08-17-2020, 08:58 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Hmm. Right. This is in my development version. I really need o find the time and incentive to publish it Wink

!!!PUBLISH IT !!!  Big Grin         

The community will wait for this publication! Thx Ofnuts! Rolleyes Wink
Is this plugin available for Mac?  

I searched for ofn-path-to-shape but only found a file which ended .py, and the scripts in my folder all end .scm. I did drop this into my scripts folder on the off-chance but doesn't appear to show anywhere.

Newbie stupidity?

thanks

Barry