Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clone and Heal tool messed up setting?
I can't figure out what I did to my clone and heal tool.  The little x that is usually in the center of the tool selection area is now offset towards the top.  It also doesn't work like it usually does.  The whole selection area within the tool doesn't work properly.  It seems only the upper portion works properly.  I exited Gimp and came back in but that didn't fix the problem.  I can't get a screen capture because the little x inside the selection area doesn't show up.  It has gone away and come back a few times.  I can't figure out what I have done.

You can also take a screen shot of your gimp by print your 'screen' and pasting into gimp as a new image. Then crop it to just the area you need. Save and then upload as your screen capture.

Smile
I can't see what you mean by "selection area within the tool", and "the little x inside the selection area". For the latter, with the "Heal" tool (but you are showing the options for the "Clone" tool), the pointer is decorated with two crossed band-aids that look like an X:

Otherwise, in case it is something with the image, try with another image.

Restarting Gimp is not a solution, if Gimp is set up to keep settings across sessions. See Managing tool options and window positions for details.
The selection area inside the tool is the area with your dashed rectangle.  The little x I am referring to could better be referred to as a plus sign (+) inside the dashed rectangle shown in the post above.

When mine is working strangely the plus sign is off center towards the top.  Also the clone doesn't clone the entire selection area.  It mostly clones the area towards the top.  Is this any kind of normal behavior based on a setting?

When switching to the healing tool the + is also offset towards the top.

Actually it is working now but this back and forth has happened before.

Sallyanne I always use print screen and paste as a new image in Gimp.  I didn't know there was another way.  When I use print screen and paste as new image I see the rectangle in the pasted image but I don't see the + sign.

There are screenshot utilities and some do a pretty good job at capturing the cursor, even if sometime it means a delayed capture (you delay the capture by a few seconds, click the button in the capture utility, hop over to the window where the action is, mimic the action and the screenshot is taken with everything in sight. Note that Gimp comes with its own screenshot capability (File > Create > Screenshot).

For your initial question, my wonder is why are you using that bar brush and not the usual round brush?
I use a round brush as my main heal or clone brush. I use a rectangular brush frequently when I encounter a horizontal join such as a horizon or where wall meets ceiling or where door frame meets wall both horizontal and vertical. I frequently change the aspect ratio from very long and skinny to a square and everything in between.
Could be the 'alignment'?

Sounded like you were having trouble with the screen capture. Here if you didn't know about it
[attachment=9135]

Smile
I don't know what 'alignment' is.

I just tried the Gimp screen capture.  The Gimp screen capture includes the mouse pointer but the little "+" in the center does not show up.  Missing from the Gimp screen capture is the screen capture window which disappeared when it took the capture.  I am not really looking for another method for screen captures the keyboard Print Screen is very easy to use.  Gimp screen capture would be useful in Gimp if I want to capture the mouse pointer.

The clone and heal tool seem to be working like they did before.  I don't think it is a settings issue.  I didn't change any settings that I am aware of and it has reverted to its previous behavior.  I am guessing it is some kind of external influence.