Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Convert xcf to psd (with paths)
Hello there.

First post here, so I'm sorry if I've posted in the wrong section or something.

Anyway, I know I can export a .xcf file as a .psd file and open it in Photoshop. The problem is: when I open it, the layers are all there but the paths are gone.

Opening the recently exported .psd file in GIMP will yield the same results: layers but no paths, so I think the path info is deleted from the file.

Question: Is there a way to convert xcf to .psd without losing paths?

Thanks for the attention.
The only I know to export paths is to export the paths to SVG.

But why don't you do everything in Gimp (or photoshop)?
(04-16-2021, 10:32 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: The only I know to export paths is to export the paths to SVG.

But why don't you do everything in Gimp (or photoshop)?

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I did some researching as far as I've found out, GIMP needs a plugin to be able to export files as .svg, right? I've also read that said plugin has been abandoned and is no longer active? So, well, am I missing something or there's no other way to export the paths as .svg?

As for your question... I've switched from GIMP to Photoshop some time ago, but recently been thinking about some unfinished old projects I'd like to pick up. Said projects are still in .xcf so I'd like to work on them on Photoshop without losing the path info. Yeah, I could finish them in GIMP, I guess, but due to some specific features exclusive to Photoshop it would be much easier to do it in PS. Tongue
About exporting svg with gimp:

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Export...-layers-py
(04-17-2021, 12:29 AM)Iagmon Wrote: Well, I did some researching as far as I've found out, GIMP needs a plugin to be able to export files as .svg, right? I've also read that said plugin has been abandoned and is no longer active?

Not quite true. There was an old plugin that created SVG's - stopped working with Gimp 2.8 There are others.

This is assuming you want a vector image rather than just a set of paths
Using 'other' programs potrace or autotrace. Some information.
potrace: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17493
autotrace: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17485
Obviously only really suitable for simple (vector style shapes) images. This using autotrace.

and open in Inkscape showing it is possible the edit as an SVG.

However in cases like this, use Inkscape to convert in the first place.
Quote:Anyway, I know I can export a .xcf file as a .psd file and open it in Photoshop. The problem is: when I open it, the layers are all there but the paths are gone.

Not .psd but export from Gimp to a .tif Layers and paths are saved. The sort of process using Gimp to get clipping paths into Scribus. However, AFAIK opening said tif in PS results in the layers flattened but paths are still there.

Not able to say if PS exports tiff files in the same way for opening in Gimp.

You might be able to use a combination of both xcf(gimp psd) + tif -> to Photoshop or psd + tif -> to Gimp