Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Copy/Paste from Inkscape into Gimp and keeping transparency?
Hello Smart People,

I really need help. I’m trying to recreate and tweak a pattern tile that I originally made using Illustrator and Photoshop. 

I saved all the AI files as svg’s before I ended my subscription with adobe. (All line drawings) They’ve been working well in Inkscape, I’ve also added new images I made using the pen tool in Inkscape, now the problems starts when I try to copy and paste to Gimp. They lose all transparency, both old and new drawings.
I’ve tried the normal cut and paste, paste as new layer, duplicate and paste (everything that can be found on google search). I tried opening the svg file in Gimp, I tried saving as a png and opening in Gimp. 

(I need them transparent so I can layer the images over each other)

I eventually selected and exported each individual line drawing as a png, then opened each as new layer in gimp, they are now transparent line drawings. But when I scale up the induvial drawings they get blurry, I’m guessing it’s because they are no longer vector lines, (which is why I tried to make them vectors in the first place). They were scaled to the right size that I need when I exported them in inkscape, but are very small on the canvas in gimp which is the same size) 
So either I need a solution to enable the png images to be scaled UP or figure out why my vectors aren’t copy and pasting into gimp as transparent.
I'm using windows 10, with 64 bit, and Gimp 2.10

(Please don’t suggest I redraw them in gimp because this is weeks and weeks of work, and need the pattern in the next couple of days) I’m not the most computer literate person, so please give very detailed instructions for solutions (I work best with pictures)
TIA for any advice and help. 
JJ
Two ways to  get the SVG in Gimp without copy/paste:

1) use File>Open and select the SVGs

or

2) Go to the Paths list, right-click and Import path...
You will get nowhere copying from Inkscape and pasting into Gimp. Best you can expect is a flattened image.

Had to pull out an ai from my sample images, in Inkscape ungrouped, saved as an Inkscape svg.

In Gimp, a regular File -> Open to bring up the Render SVG dialogue. There is an option to import paths. as well as scaling everything if required.

That will get you an image much the same as exporting a png from Inkscape and also all the paths. Might be a lot of them but at least they are there.

Things you might need to do in Inkscape, ungroup objects, convert objects to vectors. If you have several layers in inkscape might be possible to split the image up for easier handling into Gimp. All depends on the SVG.
(07-05-2019, 10:03 AM)rich2005 Wrote: You will get nowhere copying from Inkscape and pasting into Gimp. Best you can expect is a flattened image.

Had to pull out an ai from my sample images, in Inkscape ungrouped, saved as an Inkscape svg.

In Gimp, a regular File -> Open to bring up the Render SVG dialogue. There is an option to import paths. as well as scaling everything if required.

That will get you an image much the same as exporting a png from Inkscape and also all the paths. Might be a lot of them but at least they are there.

Things you might need to do in Inkscape, ungroup objects, convert objects to vectors. If you have several layers in inkscape might be possible to split the image up for easier handling into Gimp. All depends on the SVG.

Thank you so much, it worked they’re transparent. I cut and paste them to separate layers so I could move them independently.

However, I can’t transform them without them becoming blurry.  I tried to rotate one and it didn’t go so well. Did I miss something (am I transforming wrong?)
JJ
(07-05-2019, 12:01 PM)jjenortje Wrote: However, I can’t transform them without them becoming blurry.  I tried to rotate one and it didn’t go so well. Did I miss something (am I transforming wrong?)

I suspect you are transforming the bitmap layers. Instead, transform the Paths (these are vectors) and then stroke the paths Edit > Stroke Path

In the Paths Dialogue there is a button Path to Selection. Use that and then apply bucket fill or gradient to the selection.

(Rich's post explains how to import the paths.)
(07-05-2019, 12:01 PM)jjenortje Wrote: Thank you so much, it worked they’re transparent. I cut and paste them to separate layers so I could move them independently.

However, I can’t transform them without them becoming blurry.  I tried to rotate one and it didn’t go so well. Did I miss something (am I transforming wrong?)
JJ

No, not transforming wrong. Once the svg is rendered by File -> Open it is a bitmap and suffers from all the usual issues with raster images. Transform any way, scale / rotate / skew and pixels are translated to new positions, anti-aliasing applied as necessary and you get some fuzziness.

Depends how keen you are. Apply the translation in Inkscape before saving as an SVG Then Gimp only has to render the paths.

One thing to note: File -> Open  will import the paths along with the image. File -> Open As layers does not import the paths. If needed right click in the paths dialogue to import paths but you might have to scale the paths, to match.