Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cropped Corners
Hello everybody (: I am trying to create a selection and an image with square/rectangles with cropped corners. Something like this:

[Image: b22024fd055d321772943efafac45311--battle...-viper.jpg]

All I can find is how to make rounded corners, but that is not exactly what I need. Does anyone have a clue on how to achieve this?
Create a new transparent layer.
With the Paths Tool and the help of snapping, draw a triangle that represents the space you want subtracted (from one corner).
When the path is to your liking, call up a selection from the path and fill it with any colour.

Now duplicate this layer and flip it until you have a triangle in every corner.
Then merge these layers together.
Alpha select this layer and delete from the original (or apply a layermask from selection for non-destructive editing).
I had some problems with the last step but I think I finally managed. Thank you for your help!
Well basically you want to subtract (delete) something (a corner) from an image.
You could use the eraser but how do you get rid of the exact same amount in each corner ?

So you make a selection, and delete.

There is more than one way to make this selection, but a path can be edited at all times.

Filling the transparent layer as a helper object is just a trick, to make things easier and have the same selection in each corner.
(02-09-2018, 07:56 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: Well basically you want to subtract (delete) something (a corner) from an image.
You could use the eraser but how do you get rid of the exact same amount in each corner ?

So you make a selection, and delete.

There is more than one way to make this selection, but a path can be edited at all times.

Filling the transparent layer as a helper object is just a trick, to make things easier and have the same selection in each corner.

If you use a path, you can just make a triangle path in one corner, then duplicate&flip to obtain a path in other corners, and then get  a selection from that. No need for additional layersSmile
Thats true, but explaining all the stuff about using the tools in path mode is an extra step.
This is just basic editing with layers and a selection. Instead of the Paths Tool, the Lasso Tool would work just as well.

I would have expected the guides method from you, tbh.
Which i didnt suggest because placing the guides requires a bit of math.
(02-09-2018, 10:19 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: Thats true, but explaining all the stuff about using the tools in path mode is an extra step.
This is just basic editing with layers and a selection. Instead of the Paths Tool, the Lasso Tool would work just as well.

I would have expected the guides method from you, tbh.
Which i didnt suggest because placing the guides requires a bit of math.

What "guides method"? Flipping things is IMHO the best way to ensure symmetry. One last "flipping" method we didn't mention is:
  • Select a corner
  • Select>Save to channel
  • Open the Channels list, duplicate and flip channels as needed
  • On the first channel, right click and Channel to selection
  • On the three others, right click and Add to selection
(02-09-2018, 10:42 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: What "guides method"?

(02-10-2018, 08:06 AM)Espermaschine Wrote:
(02-09-2018, 10:42 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: What "guides method"?

So, plain subtraction is "math" Smile
(02-10-2018, 08:28 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: So, plain subtraction is "math" Smile

Not the kind of number acrobatics you probably do for breakfast but...

i rarely use this method because it requires too much concentration and pen and paper Big Grin

Especially when you have funky numbered canvases, like 1234x4321px or you need guides at thirds or quarters, etc.

Oh, and fiddly precision work of the Move Tool.

In Inkscape you can convert rectangles into guides. Thats nice. Let the program do all the math for you, align and move around. Convert. Voila !