Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cropped Image Won't Print in Center of Page
I had this cropped image that I could not get to print in the center of a letter size 8 1/2 x 11 page no matter what settings I seemed to alter. The Image always came out printed onto the top left hand corner of the page. The printer is an HP OfficeJet 8600. In the File/Print dialogue, then in the "Image Settings" tab it looked like this:

[Image: xhEmuSE.jpg]

As you can see in the "Preview" window it shows the image centered in the middle of the page.

I finally figured out that it was the page margins that needed to be edited. When I look at the page margins they were all set to Zero like this:

[Image: TXEDT1E.jpg]

What I had to do was go to File/Page Setup and set the page margins to match the image "Position" settings in the File/Print/ Image Settings tab like this:

[Image: 5RwI4sS.jpg]

Then the image finally printed in the center of the page. I want to mention also that checking the "Ignore Page Margins" box in the File/Print Image Settings tab had no effect on centering the image before I edited the Page Margins settings in the File/Page Setup section.

The "Ignore Page Margins" box is underlined in Red:

[Image: 2mMWSJn.jpg]

It seems that this is a bug. Checking the "Ignore Page Margins" box should set the position according to the "Positions" settings dialogue regardless of what the "Page Margins" are set to for the image, cropped or not.
Gimp 2.8 / 2.10 Not much difference. The Gimp developers are very aware of the limitations of the Gimp print plugin. However, no volunteers to help with improving what is an old feature. Not the case with linux where there is a more universal system (CUPS) than with Windows where each-printer-manufacturer-has-their-own-software.

The advice for Windows users is often, use some other application. XnViewMP perhaps. At one time I would also say Windows Image Viewer. You might be OK with your installation, but as I understand, Win10 now changes (improves? ) the image automatically. Good'ol MS
(07-09-2019, 08:53 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Gimp 2.8 / 2.10 Not much difference. The Gimp developers are very aware of the limitations of the Gimp print plugin. However, no volunteers to help with improving what is an old feature. Not the case with linux where there is a more universal system (CUPS) than with  Windows where each-printer-manufacturer-has-their-own-software.

The advice for Windows users is often, use some other application. XnViewMP perhaps. At one time I would also say Windows Image Viewer. You might be OK with your installation, but as I understand, Win10 now changes (improves? ) the image automatically. Good'ol MS

Ahh, at least it's a known issue.

I am familiar with CUPS. I had Linux Mint installed last year at one point. I loved the freedom of getting away from Windows at that time. But, there were many programs and features that I was used to in Windows that I did miss and actually went back to Windows. Windows 7 that is. I hate Windows 8 and up. Hating Windows 10 the worst. The forced updating garbage and the looming "Windows as a service" nightmare. I don't like feeling that my operating system is making me do what it wants ME to do instead of me making the operating system do what I want IT to do.

After Windows 7 becomes so obsolete that it's unusable I imagine that I will go back to Linux. Unfortunately I am a GUI person all the way. Call me lazy if you will but I'm not crazy about punching in commands into a command line interface to do various things that need to be done in Linux. And it's rather buggy. And a lot of programs that you like won't function properly in Linux. Other than those few limitations, Linux Mint Cinnamon was a beautiful OS. If I ever hit the lottery I would put up a $10 million dollar prize for the first team that made a completely GUI Linux OS that basically cloned Windows. Complete with Auto Installers and the whole 9 yards. Then I would put up another $10 mil over a 5 year period to that winning team to get all the bugs worked out to take that version of Linux to the top of the Globe and set Linux's global domination in concrete. I would bet millions of people all over the world would dump Windows in that case. I would love to see Windows take a dive. Straight into a grave.

In order for Linux to appeal to the masses, it would have to become a totally GUI experience just like Windows. No manual command line stuff.