Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cropping images - pasting to new layer - layer boundary size
Hi,

First post on this forum.

I enjoy using GIMP.

I have a question about cropping and pasting as new layer.

When cropping a select part of an image using the fuzzy select tool and pasting it into a new layer, the layer boundary exceeds the cropped image size  - there is typically extra vertical space around the top and bottom of the cropped image.

This makes resizing particularly difficult because I cannot compare the actual size of the cropped image to that of other layers pasted into the image because of the extra space.

I can confirm that nothing else has been selected below the cropped image.

I use GIMP to crop photos of coins.
So I crop and paste side A of the coin.
I then crop and paste side B as a new layer. However GIMP adds extra space  around the image which makes resizing side B really hard. It would otherwise be as simple as resizing the layer/image of side B to match side A.

Any help would be appreciated as have not been able to work out why this is happening.

Peter
You first crop side A of the coin.
What is the size of the image (in pixels) of the cropped image?
You can see this in the title bar - the top left corner of Gimp.

You then crop side B of the coin.
What is the size of this image in pixels?
(03-13-2017, 06:41 AM)Blighty Wrote: You first crop side A of the coin.
What is the size of the image (in pixels) of the cropped image?
You can see this in the title bar - the top left corner of Gimp.

You then crop side B of the coin.
What is the size of this image in pixels?

Hi,

When I crop, I paste the image as a new layer.

I then resize the layer of e.g. Side B to match Side A.  This means that if the layer boundary exceeds the image boundary significantly it makes resizing more difficult -  I cannot apply the image pixel height to a layer which has added additional vertical space. it is comparing apples with bananas. Also, the vertical space added is inconsistent from one cropped image to another meaning I cannot use the layer height of one image as reference for resizing the other.

I guess my question would be - how do I paste a cropped image into a new layer, and force that new layer's boundaries to align with the cropped image's boundaries. The extra space is unhelpful. I don't want extra space around the image when pasting it into a layer.

Also, the option to resize the layer boundary is very manual - there is no option to "snap" the layer boundary to the dimensions of the image within.

Thanks

Peter
I am not fully understanding your workflow. When you say you paste as a new layer are pasting as a new layer in the same image or pasting into a different image?

But here is something you can try.
Look at your image dimensions - in the title bar, top left corner. Now paste your new layer. Now you can do:
Layer > Scale Layer... and enter the dimensions of the image.

If you want to do the manual method, you can do:
View > Snap to Canvas Edges
Not too sure about your selection method but it seems to be something like this

A new layer (red) pasted in but coin needs to be same size as base layer.
screenshot(s) http://i.imgur.com/rltGQzm.jpg

Layer is scaled to size but layer boundary (yellow dotted boundary) is now larger than the canvas size. http://i.imgur.com/I6CxcDQ.jpg

Use layer to image size crops the layer to the canvas size http://i.imgur.com/wJLbNDu.jpg

results in matching layer(s) http://i.imgur.com/WnDoY1p.jpg
(03-13-2017, 07:05 AM)peterpil19 Wrote: Also, the option to resize the layer boundary is very manual - there is no option to "snap" the layer boundary to the dimensions of the image within.

There is Layer>Autocrop layer. But there is no real notion of "the image within", it just crops the image were all pixels are exactly equal, so it works only on image with a clean, uniform background which don't seem to be the case

For answering the rest of the question, it would help:
  1. To have an example image
  2. To know if you are aiming for perfection or for speed