Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cropping question
After searching for an answer and not finding anything, I ask this...
I would like to use the ellipsis tool to select an oval or round area of an image then crop what's around it, leaving only the oval/round part of the image.
Does anybody know how this can be done ?
Thanks in advance for any help and guidance...
1. Make sure the layer has an alpha channel Layer > Transparency > Add Alpha Channel

2. Make your oval selection

3. Invert the selection Select > Invert

4. Remove surround Edit > Clear
There are no oval images. All images are rectangular, those that look oval just have transparent corners. This implies that they are saved in a format that support transparency (PNG, no JPG). JPG is fine if "oval image" can be "rectangular image with white corners").
Rainbow 
It's funny, as this was my very first question when I was just starting getting into graphics, having the concept of layers etc. only in my "to read" notes.

To avoid making a pointless post in its entirety Wink 'd like to propose an additional function related to the subject:
Select > Feather...
https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-paint...feathering
Thank you so much Blightly, that worked perfectly...I haven't been using GIMP that long so I'm still tryin to figure certain things out...things that I was knew how to do in PS, which I don't have a license for anymore...
Ofnuts, thanks for the reminder...I would have totally forgotten about that transparency thing between jpg and png...thanks for not makin me have a major brain fart...lol
Bucic, interesting idea with the feathering, even though that's not really what I was lookin for in this situation, but thanks for passing along the knowledge, I appreciate it...
Thanks again to all of you that took the time to help me out
I really appreciate it, all the best to you...