Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutting a selection forces left over area to antialias around edges
I've got a picture of a person who I want to cut and paste into a new layer so I can put text behind them slightly. However, when I draw the selection out and proceed to cut it, it IMMEDIATELY fades out all the edges of the portion left over from the cut. Now, if I paste my selection into a new layer, instead of it seemlessly fitting into the old spot perfectly, there's a gross white border around the cut making it unbelievably obvious that I cut that selection. Is there not some sort of option to turn this off during cutting?

HELP!

(06-07-2018, 02:56 PM)thesanealien Wrote: I've got a picture of a person who I want to cut and paste into a new layer so I can put text behind them slightly. However, when I draw the selection out and proceed to cut it, it IMMEDIATELY fades out all the edges of the portion left over from the cut. Now, if I paste my selection into a new layer, instead of it seemlessly fitting into the old spot perfectly, there's a gross white border around the cut making it unbelievably obvious that I cut that selection. Is there not some sort of option to turn this off during cutting?

HELP!

EDIT: Figured out the problem. This setting is on the selection tool itself under antialising. Was searching for a setting on the "cut" command the whole time. I'm an idiot!
(06-07-2018, 02:56 PM)thesanealien Wrote: I've got a picture of a person who I want to cut and paste into a new layer so I can put text behind them slightly. However, when I draw the selection out and proceed to cut it, it IMMEDIATELY fades out all the edges of the portion left over from the cut. Now, if I paste my selection into a new layer, instead of it seemlessly fitting into the old spot perfectly, there's a gross white border around the cut making it unbelievably obvious that I cut that selection. Is there not some sort of option to turn this off during cutting?

HELP!

EDIT: Figured out the problem. This setting is on the selection tool itself under antialising. Was searching for a setting on the "cut" command the whole time. I'm an idiot!

How did you work around this thesanealien? I have a similar issue when selecting, that there is a "feather effect" or halo or fading or whatever you want to call it. I want a clean sharp cut! I used to be able to do that in previous versions but not in the 2.10.34. what changed? what do you mean by "selection tool under antialiasing"? I am not following. can you point me to it please? my selection extends beyond and outside of the selection area. why? see attachment.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That original post is from 2018 

Quote:.... what do you mean by "selection tool under antialiasing"? I am not following. can you point me to it please? my selection extends beyond and outside of the selection area. why? see attachment.

In the tool options for most of the selection tools turn off the antialiasing  option before making the selection.

(05-17-2023, 11:20 AM)rich2005 Wrote: That original post is from 2018 

Quote:.... what do you mean by "selection tool under antialiasing"? I am not following. can you point me to it please? my selection extends beyond and outside of the selection area. why? see attachment.

In the tool options for most of the selection tools turn off the antialiasing  option before making the selection.

thank you very much Rich!! you saved my life. I was just going crazy over this : ). must have uninstalled and reinstalled Gimp 3 times, no dice : ). you are a life saver!
(05-17-2023, 12:33 PM)MagicMax Wrote:

thank you very much Rich!! you saved my life. I was just going crazy over this : ). must have uninstalled and reinstalled Gimp 3 times, no dice : ). you are a life saver!

OTOH normally you want to keep these because they are what makes visually smooth edges.
(05-17-2023, 12:47 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(05-17-2023, 12:33 PM)MagicMax Wrote:

OTOH normally you want to keep these because they are what makes visually smooth edges.

yes Ofnuts. in most cases I bet you normally do want the antialiasing and feathering on. but sometimes I just trace the area I want to manipulate sharp, clean it up and do the antialiasing as a separate step to smooth it, carefully watching the amount. just the way I am used to doing it. but I appreciate your suggestion. thanks. now! if you happened to know if it's possible to set these antialiasing and feather edges permanently OFF for the free selection tool? it keeps jumping back to ON position. so I have to untick the boxes each time I want to use the lasso tool.
Quote:...if it's possible to set these antialiasing and feather edges permanently OFF for the free selection tool? it keeps jumping back to ON position. so I have to untick the boxes each time I want to use the lasso tool...

Set up the tools the way you want them on a start up.  Then

Into the Edit -> Preferences and....

In the Tool Options section. Untick Save Tool Options on Exit  Click on Save Tool Options Now

into Input Devices section Untick Save input device settings on exit  Click on Save Input Device Settings Now
(05-17-2023, 06:20 PM)MagicMax Wrote: if you happened to know if it's possible to set these antialiasing and feather edges permanently OFF for the free selection tool? it keeps jumping back to ON position. so I have to untick the boxes each time I want to use the lasso tool.

Yes, see here.
(05-17-2023, 06:56 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:...if it's possible to set these antialiasing and feather edges permanently OFF for the free selection tool? it keeps jumping back to ON position. so I have to untick the boxes each time I want to use the lasso tool...

Set up the tools the way you want them on a start up.  Then

Into the Edit -> Preferences and....

In the Tool Options section. Untick Save Tool Options on Exit  Click on Save Tool Options Now

into Input Devices section Untick Save input device settings on exit  Click on Save Input Device Settings Now

you are very kind Rich2005 taking the time and sharing your knowledge. thanks.