Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Default quality keeps changing on Export Image as JPEG window
Hi,

I have my default quality saved as 80% on Export Image as JPEG window. But whenever I open some images to make edits and then export, the slider on Quality option always appears at a different value, like 90%, 93%, 100% etc. It doesn't keep my saved default value selected. Every time, I have to click Load Defaults button.

[Image: gimp.jpg]

Any ideas how to fix this? I'm on GIMP 2.8.20, if it makes any difference. Thanks!
In the "Advanced options" of the JPEG export dialog, there is Use quality settings from original image checkbox. Uncheck it and save the defaults.

Btw, in Gimp 2.10 this checkbox is displayed right under the Quality slider. Just saying Smile
(03-24-2022, 12:30 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: In the "Advanced options" of the JPEG export dialog, there is Use quality settings from original image checkbox. Uncheck it and save the defaults.

Btw, in Gimp 2.10 this checkbox is displayed right under the Quality slider. Just saying Smile

Thanks. I installed GIMP 2.10.30. Unchecked "Use quality settings from original image", saved defaults, restarted GIMP, tried many times. But it still does not keep my 80% default quality setting. It shows 90%, 100%, 94% etc. every time I open images to make edits and save, so, I am having to click "Load defaults" almost every time.
By default the "Export File Type" is set as PNG Image in Edit > Preferences > Image Import & Export Change that to JPEG Image (drop down menu) and Ok that.

When you come to export an image the format is now .jpg and the settings from the Saved Defaults.

Just for info, the settings are held in the file parasiterc in your Gimp Profile. Not much to see, it is a long string of numbers. Check that it is there, delete it anytime to restore the defaults.
Not an answer to the OP's question but I haven't checked the image quality for jpg's but do notice what you use the most often, gimp seems to want to export it as that; or, if the image is a jpg when you open it, it will export it as a jpg (You can change it though if you want).

Smile
(03-29-2022, 11:20 AM)rich2005 Wrote: When you come to export an image the format is now .jpg and the settings from the Saved Defaults.

Currently the default export file type is only used when GIMP doesn't 'know' what the file extension is - that is when you have just created a new image or opened an xcf file. I have a merge request waiting to be incorporated into V2.99.x that adds an extra checkbox to the preferences page so that optionally the default file type is offered regardless of the type of the file that is being edited.
Quote:...snip... I have a merge request waiting to be incorporated into V2.99.x that adds an extra checkbox to the preferences page so that optionally the default file type is offered regardless of the type of the file that is being edited.

That is interesting, it would be a welcome addition, just as the ability to set a default export type in Gimp 2.10 is an improvement over Gimp 2.8

Sad fact but few people read other than the last post, so....

@imagemicx
Go into Edit > Preferences > Image Import & Export Change the "Default Export File Type" to JPEG Image (drop down menu) and Ok that.
Gimp will read the saved jpeg settings on start and use them.
(03-29-2022, 04:37 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Sad fact but few people read other than the last post, so....

@imagemicx
Go into Edit > Preferences > Image Import & Export Change the "Default Export File Type" to JPEG Image (drop down menu) and Ok that.
Gimp will read the saved jpeg settings on start and use them.

Apologies for knocking you off the last post position but I'm not sure that the default file type setting has any effect on the reading of the saved jpg settings. The configuration variable that holds the default file type is only inspected and used by the file export dialog. I added the code to do this (so that we weren't always stuck with a default of png) and have just checked that nothing else references this variable (apart from the code that handles that page of the preferences dialog). If I'm wrong about this I would be interested to know how what you describe above is happening. (Not trying to start an argument).

@sallyanne
The logic behind the file type offered when exporting a file is not connected with the frequency with which you edit particular file types. The file type is determined as described by the following comment from gimpexportdialog.c:

Code:
/* Priority of default type/extension for Export:
   *   1. Type of last Export
   *   2. Type of the image Import
   *   3. Type of latest Export of any document
   *   4. Default file type set in Preferences
   */

At least that is the way it is intended to work.
(03-29-2022, 11:20 AM)rich2005 Wrote: By default the "Export File Type" is set as PNG Image in Edit > Preferences > Image Import & Export  Change that to JPEG Image (drop down menu) and Ok that.

When you come to export an image the format is now .jpg and the settings from the Saved Defaults.

Just for info, the settings are held in the file   parasiterc  in your Gimp Profile. Not much to see, it is a long string of numbers. Check that it is there, delete it anytime to restore the defaults.

Thanks. I did that but it still does not open the dialog with 80% quality saved every time. It opens with 90%, 96%, different values, and I am having to either manually type 80 or click Load Defaults every time.

Am I the only one who is having this issue?
(03-30-2022, 06:37 AM)imagemicx Wrote: Thanks. I did that but it still does not open the dialog with 80% quality saved every time. It opens with 90%, 96%, different values, and I am having to either manually type 80 or click Load Defaults every time.

Am I the only one who is having this issue?

I have just tried and using the "Save Defaults" button causes the quality to be set for future exports (even after GIMP has been terminated and restarted). Can you provide a key-by-key / button-by-button record of opening a jpg file and then using Export or Export As with a screenshot of the Export dialog?