Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defining GIMP 2.10.28 to Scribus 1.5.7
I have the flatpak versions of GIMP 2.10.28 and Scribus 1.5.7 installed under Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2. I wish to invoke GIMP from within Scribus to edit an image. The Scribus preferences allow me to define (in the External Tools option) the 'Name of Executable'. While I am not sure exactly what is meant here I assume it is the fully qualified path and name of the gimp executable that is required. I know of no way of definitively finding out what either of these two items of information is - for instance, the "flatpak info -l" option for gimp does not point to an executable, only a directory with an extensive tree structure 'below' it. I have used 'find' in Nemo, discovering more than 30 paths which might be relevant, out of approx. 2,900 'hits' on 'gimp' - but none of them work. Can anybody explicitly tell what what I should be using in Scribus? Has anyone actually ever done this?

I ask this because I had a similar challenge in trying to edit Gimp preferences to correctly invoke darktable 3.6.1 - but no one has so far been able to tell me what the correct string is, or even to prove (i.e. validate their claims)  that they have actually done it, with my installed versions of the apps under Mint 20.2. I have concluded that this is not possible with Gimp in this scenario.
I think not possible. Since both Gimp and Scribus are flatpak versions they are both sandboxed and "do not see" other applications. 

When you flatpak list in a terminal you get this

The command to run Gimp is flatpak run org.gimp.GIMP  but put that into Scribus external applications and it gives a error "missing or not installed".
(10-31-2021, 06:02 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I think not possible. Since both Gimp and Scribus are flatpak versions they are both sandboxed and "do not see" other applications. 

When you flatpak list in a terminal you get this

The command to run Gimp is flatpak run org.gimp.GIMP  but put that into Scribus external applications and it gives a error "missing or not installed".

That's exactly what I get - and your explanation is most helpful. Not a wholly 'welcome' explanation (!), but not a fatal error: just have to edit the image outside of Scribus, I guess.
when I used the flatpak version I had a similar problem with invoking GIMP from xnview (which is in wine).
I've solved it this way, maybe it works for your constellation, too:

I've created a bash script in my ~/bin folder ( because it's a folder in my PATH) like so:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/flatpak run org.gimp.GIMP "$1"
Name the file what you like, make it executable.
And give this file's path and name to Scribus.

Untested ... as I don't have the apps as flatpaks.
So might work or not.
I did try almost the same, a bash 'launcher' for flatpak Gimp. While it happily stared Gimp when run from a terminal unfortunately no-go when put in the Scribus configuration.