Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dot for Dot on Surface Pro 9
Hello, I'm running Gimp development release 2.99.14 on a surface pro, \w windows 11.
I am having trouble getting the dot for dot mode to match my display's pixels.

My display's resolution is 2880 X 1920 (267 PPI).

My windows display scale is set to the default of 200%.

Gimp detects the ppi as 133. I assume this is correct as it's 1/2 of 267, rounded down to the nearest pixel.

Problem is, in dot for dot mode, Gimp shows the image at 2x -- 500 Gimp pixels are actually 1000 pixels on my display.
If I change Gimp's display settings to 267 pixels/inch, I don't see any effect.

My workaround has been to set the ppi of my image to double the ppi set in gimp and turn off dot for dot.

Does anyone know of a way to get dot for dot mode working properly?
I'm hoping that there is just a setting that I'm missing or confused about.

If not, is there a way to set dot for dot to disabled by default?
Quote:My display's resolution is 2880 X 1920 (267 PPI).
My windows display scale is set to the default of 200%.
Gimp detects the ppi as 133. I assume this is correct as it's 1/2 of 267, rounded down to the nearest pixel.

Is the 200% setting so that the Gimp UI is a reasonable size ? Not much you can do about that.

One question is why use dot-for-dot?  At 100% zoom it shows an image as it would be printed. Normally turned off for 99.9% of the time when you are editing. Mostly irrelevant, as printers will scale an image anyway.

I would think that your display setting should be 267 if that is your display pixel density. Use the calibrate option in Edit -> Preferences -> Display and see what it gives.

Quote:My workaround has been to set the ppi of my image to double the ppi set in gimp and turn off dot for dot

That would be my workaround as well if I wanted to check print size on the display but for sending to a printer stick with conventional values say 300 ppi.
Hi Rich,
Yes, the scaling is in fact a system wide setting. Unfortunately there isn't a way to set it on a per app basis. Even if there were, setting up Gimp to scale every UI element appropriately sounds like more of a hurdle than I'm able to take on at the moment.

I tried the calibration utility after setting my ppi to 267.
The rulers still display at 133ppi.
800 pixels are actually 1600 pixels or just shy of 6 inches (267x6 = 1602).

By the way, what are those arrows for on the rulers?
The instructions only say to measure the rulers.
Am I supposed to set the arrows to a pixel value and enter the length of that pixel count?
Or do I enter the length of the entire ruler?

I've left the display ppi set to 267 and if I view an image at 534ppi then it lines up nearly perfectly with the pixels on my display.
Or if I want to view the print size of an image to be printed at 300ppi, I need to do a bit of math, which isn't clear to me at the moment.
Though I'm more interested in being able to view the image at my device's native resolution because as you pointed out, the printer will scale it to whatever dimensions I choose.

Looks like I should file a bug report.
I'll install linux on this device eventually and see how that goes too.

Thanks
(12-14-2022, 08:20 PM)koopdi Wrote: By the way, what are those arrows for on the rulers?
The instructions only say to measure the rulers.
Am I supposed to set the arrows to a pixel value and enter the length of that pixel count?
Or do I enter the length of the entire ruler?

I am not sure what those arrows do. 

That screenshot was a Gimp 2.99.14 and not very clear. This is a better one. In the past I just measure the whole length with a ruler, inch or metric, set the units accordingly.

You can give it a try but probably just give the same as you already have.