Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Effects-Texture-Tile Problem
http://fimg-gmplugins.sourceforge.net/

The Felimage noise generator produces good results for this, and there is a tileable option

Bump map from the felimage noise

Attached Files Image(s)

A new concept for me: ambient occlusion map

I tried to read a tutorial, but there were 23 pages, after a few pages read, I gave up.
I found a tutorial for gimp in German ... I tried to watch it but no way.

I downloaded the Felimage noise generator on the indiate link, but it doesn't work.

Crashed plug-in: "felimage-noise.exe"

The dying plug-in may have messed up GIMP's internal state. You may want to save your images and restart GIMP to be on the safe side.

Thank you for the tips!
There is an up-to-date felimage plugin here: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17775
(11-09-2020, 04:36 PM)rich2005 Wrote: There is an up-to-date felimage plugin here: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17775

Here is a compiled felimage noise for Linux systems.  It works on my computer, but I cannot say if it will for anyone else.
[attachment=5158]

Nevermind, I see a Linux version in the link Rich posted . . .
(11-09-2020, 04:36 PM)rich2005 Wrote: There is an up-to-date felimage plugin here: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17775

I installed everything in my gimp's plugins folder.
I restarted Gimp, and the first time I used it, everything went well.
I chose the preset indicating the folder path when asked.

The second time, when I decided to test another preset, there was a little disagreement. The plugin now did not find the presets that moments earlier it had found and opened one.

Paying attention, I saw that he considered the folder felimage> noise empty, with nothing in it! But this time he was referring to the folder in another way, this time in Preferences> Plugins.

Okay, even with the Gimp open I transferred the folder from the initial location (the folder where I have my plugins in my Portable version) to the folder in Preferences> Plugins.
I returned to Gimp and it worked again, without having to be restarted.

I just transferred the folder with the presets, the executable file remains in the folder it was in before.

Now I just need to learn how to use this plugin :-)

rich2005, thx a lot for the information and link!
@Kritor:
The Felimage plugin is one of the most important plugins for Gimp, at least for me.  It seems confusing with settings like 'octaves' and 'pinch' and 'gain' etc.

But really once you get used to it, then it becomes extremely powerful.

In just a few minutes I made this:

IT is just step 1,2,3.... Anyone can do this without hand-painting anything, totally in Gimp without 3d software.  Anybody that follows a set of instructions can do it.

Here's the xcf:

.xcf   e20.xcf (Size: 1.04 MB / Downloads: 137)

If I can find the time and if anyone is intersted, I'd love to share the steps, because it would show how I do bump maps, use fractal noise, and do mask manipulations.  Also anyone that can do it better than me or has ideas can comment and show me something better or new.  These things aren't just for making a rock texture, but all kinds of things use fractal noise.  Bump maps can work on countless things and mask manipulation is extremely powerful.
mholder,

I did a good study on your e20.xcf file, it was very instructive.

But I don't know how to use Felimage, so I tried it with the aid of the Mosaic filter and the Gradient Tool in Shaped (angular).

The most difficult thing was to be able to create the initial layer, the Original Noise, I don't know how you created it.

I tried to tweak the felimage but the learning curve with this plugin is just beginning.

But ... at least I've made some progress.

Thank you for the tips!
Looks nice! The felimage settings in this case were skin type with only one octave, and the output was tile-able planer. Color is brush colors with standard black and white default.
I think size was around 24x24
(11-10-2020, 05:50 PM)mholder Wrote: Looks nice! The felimage settings in this case were skin type with only one octave, and the output was tile-able planer. Color is brush colors with standard black and white default.
I think size was around 24x24

Knowing how to properly configure filemage makes all the difference! 
Now with your sets:

Thx a lot!