Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ellipse
Hi there everyone,

Is it possible to make a circle using the elillpse tool then make a line to were you cut of the bottom bit and have the remaining top bit so you can use that nice curve to use as a path and put text on it..
Otherwise you got to play around manually with the path tool to create such a shape..

Thanks for viewing..

Al
Hold the ctl key down and click on a path to add a node (aka anchor). Note the cursor changes to include a '+'

Shift-ctrl and click on a path to remove the section between nodes Cursor changes to include a  '-'

The same applies to nodes. Put the cursor over the node.

Usually just breaking the path is sufficient to set a starting point for the text-along-path, but you can go round and delete if you have a tidy mind.

If you just want plain text, no mixed fonts and sizes then ofnuts text-along-path script will do what you want without breaking the path.

However, make your own distinctive logos with Gimp standard tools.

There are scripts to generate geometric paths (for instance my own ofn-path-to-shape).

Then my other script ofn-text-along-path makes things a lot easier than the regular function (because you can easlty center things, etc).

Scripts demonstrated/discussed here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-ofn-text-along-path
Thank you so much for that.

Sorry OfNuts I am a bit thick. I have kind of followed what your instructions but my first and second attempt have ended in failure. I have connected the anchors and pressed enter which you dont mention and I'm left with the bottom half with the anchors showing.

When I make an ellipse do I have to send it to path and then anchor it, or send it to path after anchoring..
I am probably confusing you
(08-05-2018, 11:22 AM)al.da.drone Wrote: Thank you so much for that.

Sorry OfNuts I am a bit thick. I have kind of followed what your instructions but my first and second attempt have ended in failure. I have connected the anchors and pressed enter which you dont mention and I'm left with the bottom half with the anchors showing.

When I make an ellipse do I have to send it to path and then anchor it, or send it to path after anchoring..
I am probably confusing you

Which instructions?  I haven't given you any instructions here... are you trying to use one of the scripts I mentioned?
Yes sorry
(08-05-2018, 12:17 PM)al.da.drone Wrote: Yes sorry

OK, so tell which instructions you were trying to follow...
To be honest I dont quite understand what the script is saying. What I have done is this.
I created an ellipse circle, I used path to selection to create a path. I then used a guide marker to where I want to start the path within the circle. I then used the path tool to go around the top bit of the ellipse circle until i got to the othe end. I then pressed enter and removed the bottom of the ellipse circle.. If you check the attachment I am now left with a load of dots than isnt a path but could well be a path if i connect them.
I'm ever so confused..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

This might/might not help. Always lots for a beginner to get a handle on Wink

Shows 3 options.

1. Ofnuts text along path plug-in

2. The question you asked, how to break up a circular path into an arc.

3. An alternative, use a circular selection as a template, and trace a path along the (temporary) selection.

direct link https://youtu.be/7fumw57Z2H8 duration 5 minutes
Brilliant this is the right one I'll give it a go
thanks mate