Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Error Uploading to Redbubble Files Exported from Gimp.
Hey Guys.

I've done a lot of research these days in forums and in Redbubble guideline pages, checked all my Export Options as well as size and file size, and every time I upload a File Exported in Gimp, the uploader in Redbubble gives me an error message saying that "What format is that file? We can't identify this image". Redbubble supports Png files, which is what I'm uploading.

I went through all the things mentioned in the "Uploader Trouble" article in Redbubblle (use another Browser, adding uploading.redbubble.com to any trusted or safe lists in my antivirus) and none worked.

When I upload the same image exported from Photoshop CS2 it uploads with no errors.

If I upload my exports from Photoshop CS2 instead from Gimp it cuts my resolution by one third.

Is there a known issue uploading files exported from Gimp to Redbubble?  Should I check any other option in settings?

Any pointer in this matter is appreciated.
Is it a 8-bit PNG? If you export from a >8-bit image, you get a 16-bit PNG IIRC which is not widely supported yet. You can force a 8-bit PNG format with the selector in the PNG export dialog.
(11-19-2018, 01:10 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Is it a 8-bit PNG? If you export from a >8-bit image, you get a 16-bit PNG IIRC which is not widely supported yet. You can force a 8-bit PNG format with the selector in the PNG export dialog.

I checked with Photoshop Bridge, and the files Redbuble is refusing, says they are "8 Bit".

I did 3 types of conversion to force an 8 bit image, then upload, and none worked.

Method 1: Convert image to indexed Color 8bit-  via Image > Mode > Indexed.

2: Mode > Grayscale.

3: In the export dialog > 8 bpc RGB.

Now for some unknown reason every time I try to covert the image via Image > Mode > Indexed Gimp Crashes.

How are you forcing the image to be 8bit PNG in the export dialogue?
You can always check using ImageMagick identify command and 8bit / 16 bit from Gimp give correct results.

I have absolutely no idea what Redbubble is but have you tried disabling the advanced options in the png export dialogue
Save Exif / XMP / IPTC / thumbnail.

Seem to recall these causing problems for another user.
(11-19-2018, 02:08 AM)Tetragram Wrote: How are you forcing the image to be 8bit PNG in the export dialogue?

There is a big selector for this in the PNG export dialog (by default it says "automatic pixelformat")
Someone raised it as an issue, but didn't provide any more information: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/1424
I followed some of your advise, and issue fixed. Thanks guys. What was keeping the file from uploading was the advanced options in the png export dialogue. I disabled - Save Exif / XMP / IPTC / thumbnail - and error fixed.

Now it uploads with no problems at all.
(11-19-2018, 10:51 PM)Tetragram Wrote: I followed some of your advise, and issue fixed. Thanks guys. What was keeping the file from uploading was the advanced options in the png export dialogue. I disabled - Save Exif / XMP / IPTC / thumbnail - and error fixed.

Where are the advanced settings? I am having the same issue but I can't find where to change it in the dialogue.
(05-15-2020, 01:23 AM)cbilgri Wrote: Where are the advanced settings? I am having the same issue but I can't find where to change it in the dialogue.

Since you do not know what version of Gimp you are using, check using Gimp menu Help -> About

Probably using Gimp 2.8 which does not have as many options.

Thumbs Up 
(11-19-2018, 10:51 PM)Tetragram Wrote: I followed some of your advise, and issue fixed. Thanks guys. What was keeping the file from uploading was the advanced options in the png export dialogue. I disabled - Save Exif / XMP / IPTC / thumbnail - and error fixed.

Thank you so much. I disabled: save Exif, Save XMP, Save IPTC and it worked. ?
I'm new at redbubble and I'm still learning to edit my images, this is my link if anyone likes to take a look https://www.redbubble.com/people/Fresïta...shop?asc=u
Also, any comment or suggestion is really appreciated. ?
And if anyone needs some help I'm here if I can share my knowledge. ?

Edit: Comments and suggestions. - Yes - Please do not advertise on this forum or you will be banned. - rich