Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Export image with guides
Hi there! I want convert psd to jpeg, thus use "export as" menu. But it doesn't save guides. So, question is - how convert psd to image keeping guides?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You can not keep the guides when converting to any of the 'export' formats png, jpeg, tiff... These are flattened 'final-for-use' images.

psd and gimp .xcf are 'working' formats that can retain more than just the image.
Save your work in Gimp xcf format. This saves layers, guides, grid settings, active selections and channels.
When complete then export to a jpeg.
Unfortunately, nothing happensSad Maybe, i'm doing something wrong? 
step-by-step:
  1. in open layout.psd - menu - 'save as' - layout.xcf;
  2. in open layout.xcf - 'export as' - jpeg - default settings - layout.jpeg

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Unfortunately, nothing happens" will need some more info for us to understand what is not happening.

1) You have a file layout.psd.
Does it have guides?

2) You open this file in Gimp.
Are there any guides now?

3) You Save this as layout.xcf
Guides etc are preserved.

4) You Export as layout.jpg
This file won't have any guides.

What is not happening? Where are things going wrong?
(11-01-2018, 11:44 AM)sandbox4013 Wrote: Unfortunately, nothing happensSad Maybe, i'm doing something wrong? 
step-by-step:
  1. in open layout.psd - menu - 'save as' - layout.xcf;
  2. in open layout.xcf - 'export as' - jpeg - default settings - layout.jpeg

Read the earlier post again. You can not save the guides in jpeg format. The guides do not exist outside of application,  in this case Gimp. They are virtual, are not incorporated in the image.

These .psd files are 'templates' lots of layers, masks and of course those guides. The same when you open the psd in Gimp. You get the layers and guides some other information (but not all).

Maybe you can explain why you want the guides showing in a jpeg. The only way is to paint them in manually using a tiny brush. But then they are permanent in the jpeg Wink
rich2005     
"Maybe you can explain why you want the guides showing in a jpeg. "

I want use image for pixel perfect chrome extension. It places image at web page, so i can align layout.
With guides it'll be more accurate.

Blightly 
 It's gimp's guides. Default, which i can turn on/off i.e. ctrl-shift-t.
(11-01-2018, 03:43 PM)sandbox4013 Wrote: ...I want use image for pixel perfect chrome extension. It places image at web page, so i can align layout.
With guides it'll be more accurate. ...

I do not really see how Gimp fits in with a web browser extension.

The sort of PS .psd template image in your example is used by replacing / editing or adding layers. Some layers/layer groups might be made non-visible. At the end when you have what you want you can export as a single layer, (flattened) jpeg.

[Image: OI46vPd.jpg]

If you want to copy the guides from one image to another, A bit of a hunt around & you might do it with a couple of old Gimp 2.8 scripts, these still work in Gimp 2.10 but can be a little flaky (gat_tools and layer groups)

listguides.scm (goes in the scripts folder) & gat_tools.py (goes in the plug-ins folder). Scripts attached, unzip pop in C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\scripts (or plug-ins)

Would work like this. Image -> Guides -> List Guides

[Image: tpqu3CJ.jpg]

Keep that info window open and switch to your jpeg image. Open GAT tools Tools -> Gimp-Atelier and enter the list of Guides. Ok that and the guides are added to your image.

[Image: aSlHbIL.jpg]

As before, these only exist inside Gimp, Save as a .xcf to keep them, export and you lose them.

Attached Files
.zip   guides-tools.zip (Size: 4.68 KB / Downloads: 434)
rich2005

Wow, a lot of work! Thank you!)
About gimp fits with extension - i mean jpeg file uses for extension. A website layer usual in xcf(psd) format, so i convert it to jpeg. than use later for extension. You can try pixelperfect