Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Export multiple layers as a layered PDF, not a mulitpage PDF
Question 
I've found several ways to export GIMP layers as a multipage PDF, but have been unsuccessful finding info on how to export my visible layers to a single page layered PDF. I know it's possible as I've received PDF files of an image that is layered, such as for print processing markers like dielines and etc. 

Is GIMP capable of doing this function?
(06-15-2018, 04:30 PM)auriuman78 Wrote: I've found several ways to export GIMP layers as a multipage PDF, but have been unsuccessful finding info on how to export my visible layers to a single page layered PDF. I know it's possible as I've received PDF files of an image that is layered, such as for print processing markers like dielines and etc.

When you say layered, do you mean multi-page? I have not come across a PDF that has Layers other than (say) using a PDF editor which contains vector objects. Gimp PDF is essentially a bitmap, where each layer is a 'picture'

however FWIW.

If you are using Gimp 2.8 and linux (as your profile) you stand a better chance than with Windows.

There is a python plugin that uses ImageMagick to create a multi-page PDF. (attached, remember to unzip it)

requirements:
version 6 Imagemagick installed
Image saved to file

looks like this:

[Image: PK1YtI8.jpg]

Update to Gimp 2.10 and might be easier: see https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Multi-...97#pid8797

edit: Thinking about
...I've received PDF files of an image that is layered, such as for print processing markers like dielines and etc.

maybe Scribus might be a better bet, it can import both bitmap & vector to export as a PDF

Attached Files
.zip   export-layers-to-pdf.py.zip (Size: 1.83 KB / Downloads: 437)
I am indeed on Ubuntu 16.04 with GIMP 2.8 installed.  I do some graphic designs that are printed at a shop that uses watermarks and dielines to create my prints.  It's important to them that I have a layered PDF that they can toggle layers on, just like you can toggle layer visibility with GIMP.

AFAIK you can create layers in a PDF for things like watermarks, print press marks & dielines, alternate languages, callouts, measurements, etc. that can be turned off and on while viewing the main layer.  This is the functionality I'm trying to use with GIMP.  I'd like to be able to export my layered GIMP file directly to a layered PDF file. 

Is this possible with GIMP?

I already have a python plugin that is fantastic at exporting my layers as individual pages into a single multipage PDF file; this is not what I'm seeking.

[EDIT] I just caught the Scribus comment, I'll investigate that but it sure would be great to have this function available directly in GIMP.
Quote:...AFAIK you can create layers in a PDF for things like watermarks, print press marks & dielines, alternate languages, callouts, measurements, etc. that can be turned off and on while viewing the main layer.

You are not going to get this with Gimp. Look up interactive PDF

example, LibreOffice might be a possibility. Do your graphics in Gimp and the rest in some other application.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how...breoffice/

Edit: Just been playing with LO - Draw You can add layers and in Draw toggle visibility on/off. Exporting as a PDF throws up a host of options but I did get a combination (most of them enabled ) which preserved the layers which were back again on opening the PDF in LO. All a bit flaky since it is not something I use.
(06-16-2018, 07:25 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:...AFAIK you can create layers in a PDF for things like watermarks, print press marks & dielines, alternate languages, callouts, measurements, etc. that can be turned off and on while viewing the main layer.

You are not going to get this with Gimp. Look up interactive PDF

example, LibreOffice might be a possibility. Do your graphics in Gimp and the rest in some other application.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how...breoffice/

Edit: Just been playing with LO - Draw  You can add layers and in Draw toggle visibility on/off. Exporting as a PDF throws up a host of options but I did get a combination (most of them enabled ) which preserved the layers which were back again on opening the PDF in LO. All a bit flaky since it is not something I use.

UPDATE -- Scribus did not pan out as I'd hoped for adding to-scale layers into a PDF.  

I had not considered using LO draw for this, I'll give that a shot.  I am familiar with LO and use it frequently, draw less so than others.  Thanks for the info on Gimp also!