Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extending an image background
I've tried using the resynth plugin and I have not succeeded. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I don't know. I'm including a video of exactly what I wish to accomplish with Gimp. (In the video it was done with Photoshop) https://youtu.be/jO9EFFsWV3c
All sorts of ways and all depends on the image.  PS content aware fill often equated with resynthesizer + plugins
For small areas resynthesizer + heal transparency  can work.

For the example you gave, those horizontal bands, a simple copy of as much as possible, a paste, then horizontal flip to match any shading often works.

An alternative is the liquid rescale plugin. Careful with this, might need a couple of applications and not suitable for all occasions (but then what is)

quick example https://i.imgur.com/H67C7dx.mp4

see: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Liquid...8#pid14658 for a zipped plugin
(note: broken for Gimp 2.10.18 At the moment Gimp 2.10.14 is a better bet anyway)

If you give an example of the image you want to scale you will get a better reply
That is the actual image. That was done in a friend's computer, but I refuse on using Photoshop. Also, from the small example video that you posted, the one done with the plug-in that you mentioned looks better than the one done in Photoshop. I guess I'm going to have to downgrade my Gimp in order to use the plugins I just updated it.

Thanks for the help.

Btw, are there any good tutorials you guys recommend?
Quote:...Btw, are there any good tutorials you guys recommend?..

I can not recommend anything other than you might pick up some general ideas.

The problem with tutorials is:

Text tutorials, a good idea, the user can take some time studying the requirements. However I find that, invariably some step (vital or otherwise) is omitted leaving a 'how-did-they get-there' feeling. Then of course many are still showing Gimp 2.8 interface (sometimes even Gimp 2.6) Not the same as Gimp 2.10, you need to read-between-the-lines.  If you go to gimpchat.com there is a section just for text tutorials.

Video tutorials. Might be quick but all the stages should be there. Same applies about Gimp versions, still some Gimp 2.6 around.

Usefulness: 99% are very specific with a carefully chosen subject. Carefully chosen to give a good result. Not always possible with more common images. Then, sorry to say, the ones that are more interested in advertising revenue than content. Often give poor / incorrect advice. 

Just browse around and try and find something applicable.  Need more advice? Ask a specific question on one of the Gimp forums. (I would avoid reddit, few sensible contributors there,  only Ofnuts and a couple others.) 

Anyway, Since liquid-rescale does not work in Windows Gimp 2.10.18 then with the example given a copy-paste will give a result. Needs resynthesizer / heal-transparency. 

https://youtu.be/TRK0sADEwPU   duration 3 minutes

Do not expect it to work with a busy / complicated background. Sometimes the easiest way is extract the subject and completely replace the background.
(03-12-2020, 09:44 AM)rich2005 Wrote: I would avoid reddit, few sensible contributors there,  only Ofnuts and a couple others.

** Blushes **
(03-11-2020, 09:44 PM)rich2005 Wrote: ... An alternative is the liquid rescale plugin.
see: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Liquid...8#pid14658  for a zipped plugin
(note: broken for Gimp 2.10.18 At the moment Gimp 2.10.14 is a better bet anyway)

Not sure where I should post this, but I found a way of getting liquid rescale to work on 2.10.18 revision 2 in Win10. It's a workaround, and since it requires a "dirty" install I don't really like it. However, until in works normally I'm doing it this way.
  • Assuming we're starting with a clean install, first install Gimp 2.10.14 revision 3 (gimp-2.10.14-setup-3)
  • Second, copy the liquid rescale plugin files, inside their own folder, to the plug-ins folder (If installed for all of users it's usually C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins  OR  if installed for a single user it's usually C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins )
  • Third, run Gimp so that it loads the plugin.
  • Fourth, install Gimp 2.10.18 revision 2 (gimp-2.10.18-setup-2) over the 2.10.14 rev 3 installation. In other words, don't uninstall the previous version (don't perform a clean install). DO NOT RUN GIMP YET.
  • From here there are various paths depending on how the installation was done:
  1. Wether Gimp was installed for all users, or just a single user, if the liquid rescale plugin files were copied into their own folder, then everything should be working fine.
  2. If Gimp was installed for a single user and the liquid rescale plugin files the plugin files were were not copied into their own folder, then you have to copy them again.  This is because, when we installed 2.10.18 rev 2 over the previous installation of 2.10.14 rev 3, the liquid rescale plugin DLL was deleted. If you run Gimp before recopying the files an error will pop-up and the plug-in will no longer be recognized by Gimp. To fix it, you will need to do a clean reinstall from 2.10.14 rev 3.
  3. If Gimp was installed for all users and the liquid rescale plugin files the plugin files were were not copied into their own folder, then you have to copy them again.  This is because, when we installed 2.10.18 rev 2 over the previous installation of 2.10.14 rev 3, the liquid rescale plugin DLL was deleted. If you run Gimp before recopying the files the plugin will work. It will give an error saying the required DLL is missing. To fix it, just recopy the plugin files and restart Gimp.
Btw, thanks for all the help. The edit came out beautifully.
I made a post in installation and usage with those instructions