Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extruded Text and Paths
I've been banging my head against the wall trying to use two paths to create an envelope for 3D text. 
Both with 2.9.5 and 2.8.2
I saw an example in these threads, but can't find it now and I never get the text to do anything but flow along 1 path

Here's the effect which was easy to do using 3D Rhino which I've had for years... it is not free and basically is a Nurbs program

The final =

Starting with basic extruded 3D text =

[Image: 15871545_10154849867538431_4425975227108...e=5B12DEC4]
(02-15-2018, 07:43 PM)Nateart Wrote: I've been banging my head against the wall trying to use two paths to create an envelope for 3D text. 

You can use ofn-bend-path for the bulging and 'Generate envelope of two paths' (ofn-paths-envelope) for the 3D effect.
Its still not really an easy way to make extruded text. You must work with vanishing points like i did here, and the shading is hard to do with Gimp's gradient tool.

G'MIC has a filter for 3D extrusion (under Rendering) but its rather crude.

The easiest way to get really good results with realistic lighting is probably using Blender, but the learning curve is steep.
Thanks for this, it can get confusing! Especially the strokes.
(02-15-2018, 07:55 PM)Espermaschine Wrote:
(02-15-2018, 07:43 PM)Nateart Wrote: I've been banging my head against the wall trying to use two paths to create an envelope for 3D text. 

Not really the correct thread to post in....

You can use ofn-bend-path for the bulging and 'Generate envelope of two paths' (ofn-paths-envelope) for the 3D effect.
Its still not really an easy way to make extruded text. You must work with vanishing points like i did here, and the shading is hard to do with Gimp's gradient tool.

G'MIC has a filter for 3D extrusion (under Rendering) but its rather crude.

The easiest way to get really good results with realistic lighting is probably using Blender, but the learning curve is steep.

Hard to replicate 3D modeller/raytracer output with Gimp. 

There are several plugins that create extruded text. Always more fun to go a little step back, still using plugins - ofnuts bend path / generate intermediate paths / stroke visible paths will give a base for improving by hand.

You can also rotate the basetext around its axes' with Map -> Map To Object.

A user on gimpchat (xgeous) used a technique with Motion Blur to get a nice 3D effect:

http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6660