Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
File exporting question
Due to the nature of the work I do with gimp, I frequently export many images (sometimes hundreds) while working. Each image is saved as a bmp with the same file name, with only a number increasing by one each time. I have already sped up this process with keyboard shortcuts, but taking the time to name each image and increasing its number by one as to not overwrite the previous has become increasingly tedious. Is there anyway I can automate this process further? The only thing that needs to change for each file name is to increase the number by 1, is there any possible way to automate this in gimp? Thanks for your help.
The process you describe can be easily automated with a plug-in.
The informations needed by the plug-in would be:
- a path to a folder (where the image will be exported)
- a base name for the BMP file to create
- the options for saving a BMP file (run-length encoded, precision, ...)

The plug-in will inspect the files already present in the folder and will determine the new number to add to the base name.
(06-17-2020, 07:31 PM)tmanni Wrote: The process you describe can be easily automated with a plug-in.
The informations needed by the plug-in would be:
- a path to a folder (where the image will be exported)
- a base name for the BMP file to create
- the options for saving a BMP file (run-length encoded, precision, ...)

The plug-in will inspect the files already present in the folder and will determine the new number to add to the base name.

Much simpler than this, given the current name:
  • obtain current image filename
  • split on path+root+number+extension
  • if root-number-extension exists, try root+(number+1)+extension
  • export with current default
Will have a shot at it this weekend.

@Bepis: why BMP? This is 2020!
See ofn-save-next here.

Installation instructions at the bottom of the linked page.

Usage notes in a HTML file in the ZIP.
Wow, that's excellent! Thanks man I really appreciate it, works like a charm so far. Only minor issue is that in my usual file naming I use parenthesis around the number just to make it easier visually, and it doesn't seem to detect the numerical portion in parenthesis. Not a major issue but if there was an easy way for me to modify that for my situation let me know.

Also yeah BMP is probably the most inconvenient file format in history hahaha, it's a looooong story.