Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filter to enhance the quality of image
(05-28-2022, 02:31 PM)rich2005 Wrote: - snip -

Keep going, you will get there eventually.
Tried again.

Scanned on smartphone with macro mode but without scan software installed.

Download image to PC
Run "mogrify -rotate 180"
Open the image on GIMP
-> Colors -> Auto -> White Balance
Again
-> Colors -> Linear Invert

The result is not bad.  Pls see attached photo

My preliminary conclusion;
- Smartphone can do the scan job. No scan software is required.  Shoot a quality negative image with the features on the smartphone
- Actually the scan software is only embedding some photo editing app.  We have all of them on GIMP

I'll try BIMP later

Regards

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tried again

Macro mode
Scene optimizer on

See photo

Maybe you could try:
1- G'MIC - Repair - Unpurple (default values) - Due to the purple tone of your negatives
2- Colors - Linear Invert
3- Colors - Levels - Auto Input Levels

Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
(05-29-2022, 05:01 PM)Krikor Wrote: Maybe you could try:
1- G'MIC - Repair - Unpurple (default values) - Due to the purple tone of your negatives
2- Colors - Linear Invert
3- Colors - Levels - Auto Input Levels

Hi,

Your advice works.  Thanks

Tried your advice again.  Pls refers to attached photos
Smartphone settings: macro and optimize

The result is much better.  Is there anyway to remove the green color on background, not with adjusting RGB curves.  Thanks

Using auto input levels
[attachment=8018]

Smile
(05-30-2022, 09:08 AM)sallyanne Wrote:
Using auto input levels
Further edit my last image on GIMP
Colors - Levels

Clicking "Auto Input Levels" without response.  Pls refer to screenshot

Regards

This is just going round in circles, the levels / auto-levels / pick a white point...etc is in the video here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Filter...2#pid29432

--------
edit: A bit quicker than the video, a 30 second animation. https://i.imgur.com/vsANS6C.mp4 using the level dialogue. probably as good as you will get that negative.
--------

However if you have used the Gimp sequence for a negative image ➤ auto-white-balanceLinear Invert then you have already applied a auto white balance (from the Colors Auto menu) and of course applying again does nothing.

Since you are not interested in using color curves, I was not going to bother with any more options. However, if you ever get round to batch processing those 1000 negatives the the gmic plugin temperature filter might work, easy to apply in BIMP. All depends on the negative. The new ones maybe too light.

Gmic on one image looks like this, makes sky a little blue, keeps the tree green-ish, this one never going to wonderful.

but might make others too blue. 

best of luck.
Put your image straight into gimp after putting it onto your computer. Gimp can rotate it for you and also invert the colours if need be.
I also noticed that last photo didn't have an alpha channel and nothing could be done without it.

If as you said you have many photos you can probably open a few at a time as layers; put in a layer group to do the rotate, invert, add alpha channel.
Then save each layer as images again.
Ofnuts may have a script that can do that Wink

Smile
One thing that seems to be true for all forums is no-one goes back and reads the old posts Wink All the suggestions have already been suggested.

Steven Lui wants this:
Quote:My planning is;
1. No setting before and after scanning. Download the negative images on PC
2. Batch Post-editing - with 2/3 steps on GIMP (not too many adjusting). If possible run command-line operation.

So it is a batch, preferably command line. I am no good with command line. Many of the suggestions are GEGL procedures, not easily scriptable. Lets have some suggestions for a batch.
There have been some GEGL operation strings put into filters. I think it is contrast over at GC that has done some. I don't know if he is here or not. I have already PM'd him with this thread's link, but I guess it's up to him to come around or not. http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19939&start=0

Smile