Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filter to enhance the quality of image
(06-02-2022, 07:32 AM)Tas_mania Wrote:
Quote:Right-click gimp-mathmap-22-04jammy.AppImage -> Run

You only need to left click an appimage.

That appimage is made to launch an apt installed Gimp in Ubuntu 22.04.

Thanks for your advice.

Today it is very strange to me.

gimp-mathmap-22-04jammy.AppImage is unable to start even right-click on it -> Run

No response

Download a new gimp-mathmap-22-04jammy.AppImage again on;
Python2 Gimp AppImage for Ubuntu Jammy and Focal
https://github.com/TasMania17/Gimp-Appim...for-Ubuntu

Still the same, problem remains.  I haven't done anything on the OS - Ubuntu 22.04

Regards
Quote:...I haven't done anything on the OS - Ubuntu 22.04..
You sure of that ?

Try a run in a terminal and see what error messages show

But first, since it is a new download, check that the appimage is still executable.
then open a terminal where the appimage is.

Have your buddies in ubuntu forums convinced you to remove fuse ?
Code:
fusermount --version
should report version 2.9.9

If fuse is still there then try starting the appimage from the terminal (dot-slash-application)
Code:
./gimp-mathmap-22-04jammy.AppImage

What do you get ? Should look like this: https://i.imgur.com/yAXuSOw.mp4
(06-02-2022, 09:46 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:...I haven't done anything on the OS - Ubuntu 22.04..
You sure of that ?

Try a run in a terminal and see what error messages show

But first, since it is a new download, check that the appimage is still executable.
then open a terminal where the appimage is.

Have your buddies in ubuntu forums convinced you to remove fuse ?
Code:
fusermount --version
should report version 2.9.9

If fuse is still there then try starting the appimage from the terminal (dot-slash-application)
Code:
./gimp-mathmap-22-04jammy.AppImage

What do you get ? Should look like this: https://i.imgur.com/yAXuSOw.mp4
Absolutely sure.  This Ubuntu 22.04 VM was specifically created for testing GIMP

The newly download gimp-mathmap-22-04jammy.AppImage is executable

$ cd Downloads/
$ ls -al
Code:
total 12528
drwxr-xr-x  2 satimis satimis     4096 Jun  2 15:54 .
drwxr-x--- 18 satimis satimis     4096 Jun  2 18:06 ..
-rwxrwx---  1 satimis satimis 12817600 Jun  1 20:18 gimp-mathmap-22-04jammy.AppImage

$ ./gimp-mathmap-22-04jammy.AppImage
Code:
/tmp/.mount_gimp-m6TU8xR/shradiko: 33: gimp: not found

$ fusermount --version
Code:
fusermount version: 2.9.9

Regards
Not changed anything ?

Quote:Absolutely sure.  This Ubuntu 22.04 VM was specifically created for testing GIMP

The VirtualBox fairy maybe Wink

Gimp is missing. Did you revert the VM ?

This in my VM with Gimp uninstalled.

Go install gimp again
Code:
sudo apt install gimp
(06-02-2022, 10:36 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Not changed anything ?

Quote:Absolutely sure.  This Ubuntu 22.04 VM was specifically created for testing GIMP

The VirtualBox fairy maybe Wink

Gimp is missing. Did you revert the VM ?

This in my VM with Gimp uninstalled.

Go install gimp again
Code:
sudo apt install gimp

Performed following steps;

$ sudo apt install gimp

$ cd Downloads/
$ ./gimp-mathmap-22-04jammy.AppImage
Code:
Gtk-Message: 21:08:00.332: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Exhausted all available authentication mechanisms (tried: EXTERNAL) (available: EXTERNAL)
gui_dbus_name_lost: connection to the bus cannot be established.

(gimp:4234): IBUS-WARNING **: 21:08:03.660: Unable to connect to ibus: Exhausted all available authentication mechanisms (tried: EXTERNAL) (available: EXTERNAL)

Now GIMP starts.

Sorry, I don't follow "Did you revert the VM ?"

This VM was cloned on an Ubuntu 22.04 VM which was built on ubuntu-22.04-desktop-amd64.iso.  The latter is a native/original Ubuntu 22.04 VM and I won't carry tests on it, except running configuration, update/upgrade and installing Guest Additions.  Then I'll clone Ubuntu-22.04 VMs for carrying tests.

Regards

Edit
===
Hi Tas_mania,

Sorry, left-clicking gimp-mathmap-22-04jammy.AppImage can't start GIMP

Hi Rich,

I have following OSs running :-
1)
Ubuntu20.04, LinuxMint, Fedora, Windows10 Guests of KVM
2)
Ubuntu20.04, Ubuntu22.04, Windows10, Windows11, MX21_KDE(digiKam 7.1.0 running), Gentoo VMs of VirtualBox
3)
Ubuntu20.04 running on bare-metal SSD
4)
Windows10 and Windows11 running on bare-metal SSDs

Please advise which OS will be most suitable for running GIMP ?

Thanks

Regards
ah..Stephen

Quote:Sorry, I don't follow "Did you revert the VM ?"

You must know about making a VM snapshot: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how...irtualbox/ Make a snapshot, try out some software, do not like it, revert the VM.

Quote:Sorry, left-clicking gimp-mathmap-22-04jammy.AppImage can't start GIMP

Tas_mania only comes here occasionally. He uses a Xfce DE (I think). Not all linux keybindings are the same, go back to using "run" or a double click seems to work.

Quote:Please advise which OS will be most suitable for running GIMP ?

Difficult, since it is a personal choice. Like you I try out many types in VM's **but** since 2004 I have used only 3 linux distributions Mepis / PClinuxOS / Kubuntu All of those KDE. So I am biased towards KDE.

All those you listed will run Gimp, one version or another. It then comes down to your ability to manage the versions.

Windows is probably the easiest for the non-technical. Gimp is the latest version, comes with an installer, most of the extra plugins easy to install and work.

When it comes to linux, latest is not always the most productive. I have two laptops:

1. Old laptop runs Kubuntu 18.04, Gimp 2.10.30 from PPA I find this most productive of the two.
2. New laptop runs Kubuntu 20.04, Gimp 2.10.30 from PPA, I had to install gimp-python myself, some old applications missing. Needed a bit of work to get it the way I want.
3. **NO** desire to update to 'buntu 22.04

up to you what you use.
(06-02-2022, 04:47 PM)rich2005 Wrote: ah..Stephen

Quote:Sorry, I don't follow "Did you revert the VM ?"

You must know about making a VM snapshot: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how...irtualbox/  Make a snapshot, try out some software, do not like it, revert the VM.

Thanks for your advice.

I never use "revert the VM".  If there is anything wrong on the VM, I just delete it and clone a new VM.

Quote:Sorry, left-clicking gimp-mathmap-22-04jammy.AppImage can't start GIMP

Tas_mania only comes here occasionally. He uses a Xfce DE (I think). Not all linux keybindings are the same, go back to using "run" or a double click seems to work.
Quote:Noted and thanks

Quote:
Quote:Please advise which OS will be most suitable for running GIMP ?

Difficult, since it is a personal choice. Like you I try out many types in VM's **but** since 2004 I have used only 3 linux distributions  Mepis / PClinuxOS / Kubuntu  All of those KDE.  So I am biased towards KDE.

All those you listed will run Gimp, one version or another. It then comes down to your ability to manage the versions.

Windows is probably the easiest for the non-technical. Gimp is the latest version, comes with an installer, most of the extra plugins easy to install and work.

When it comes to linux, latest is not always the most productive. I have two laptops:

1. Old laptop runs Kubuntu 18.04, Gimp 2.10.30 from PPA I find this most productive of the two.
2. New laptop runs Kubuntu 20.04, Gimp 2.10.30 from PPA, I had to install gimp-python myself, some old applications missing. Needed a bit of work to get it the way I want.
3. **NO** desire to update to 'buntu 22.04

up to you what you use.

OK, your advice noted and thanks. 

I'll install GIMP on Ubuntu 20.04, running on bare-metal SSD.  I'm now going to install "Scrcpy" on this harddrive to remote control the smartphone shooting photos and negatives.

Controlling Android Phones using Scrcpy
https://www.section.io/engineering-educa...ng-scrcpy/

The samrtphone will be connected to the PC via USB cable. This kind of connection serves twin purposes, first data transfer from smartphone to PC and secondly charging the smartphone while shooting.  All positive/negatives images can be directly download and stored in PC.

If successful it will start a new era in scanning Photos, film negatives, documents etc.  All of us have a smartphone.  The scanning speed on a smartphone is much faster than on a desktop scanner.

A top quality scanning device, DSLR camera/Smartphone/Desktop scanner, can't change the quality of the photos and film negatives.  Post-editing can't be avoided.

Regards.
Hi rich

Start Ubuntu20.04 on SSD hard-drive

Download gimp-mathmap-20-04focal.AppImage

$ chmod +x gimp-mathmap-20-04focal.AppImage
$ ls -al gimp-mathmap-20-04focal.AppImage
Code:
-rwxrwxr-x 1 satimis satimis 11584704 Jun  3 12:48 gimp-mathmap-20-04focal.AppImage

Install fuse
$ fusermount --version
Code:
fusermount version: 2.9.9

I'm not allowed to install gimp-python

$ apt policy python
Code:
python:
 Installed: (none)
 Candidate: (none)
 Version table:
python is not on repo.

Clicking gimp-mathmap-20-04focal.AppImage starts GIMP

-> Filters
Python-Fu filter is not there.  What can I do?  Thanks

Regards
Hi rich, again

After installing "scrcpy" on Ubuntu 20.04 PC and enabling USB debugging on smartphone, now I can remote-shoot on PC.  Wonderful!!!  Images can be download to PC.

Please refer to the screenshot attached

After solving the problem to install GIMP on Ubuntu 20.04 PC, I'll start my adventure scanning photos and negatives on smartphone.  Next week I'll purchase a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 256G Android phone to do the job.  Its camera is better.

Some minor problem - re to label the image number according to my way instead of being assigned automatically by the smartphone.  There are >1,000 negatives to scan. I expect to know from which folders they come for easy reference.

Regards

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-03-2022, 06:27 AM)Stephen Liu Wrote: Next week I'll purchase a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 256G Android phone to do the job.  Its camera is better.

And behind/beneath the negatives what do you use to lite them?