Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Font changes when exporting to pdf
Hello,
I've been using gimp a while (but still a learner) and have happily exported xcf images to pdf, which I have then viewed in preview on my Mac or Acrobat Reader. The type face I used is 'Architect's Daughter', imported into Gimp. However, today (when I was trying to rotate a pdf in Reader), the typeface on the pdfs changed to a sans serif default typeface in Acrobat Reader and preview.
My husband can send me pdfs (exported xcf files  (2.10) and I can read them fine in preview or Reader ie the correct type face. 
I'm assuming that something has changed in my gimp export settings to affect the conversion to pdf. The 'Architect's Daughter' still works in gimp but it just won't convert.
Any help much appreciated. Sad
Gimp PDF export is 'improved' in Gimp 2.10. Text layers are embedded in the PDF with the font properties. Unfortunately this is broken and the font metrics are not included in the PDF file. There is a bug report about this but seems a problem the developers have no control over.

When the Gimp PDF is opened in another computer or application where the font is not installed/available then a replacement (default) font is used eg. Sans.

The way to avoid this is flatten the text layer - remove text properties - before exporting as a PDF. Previous versions of Gimp did this automatically. It does mean that the text, now a bitmap,  can look 'not-as-good' as correctly embedded text.

What you can do
Install the missing font
Ask the sender (or yourself) to flatten the text layers before exporting as a PDF
Ask the sender (or yourself) to export as a png or jpeg where the image is automatically flattened to a single layer.

If you open a Gimp xcf with a missing font, it looks correct providing you do not try and edit the text layer in any way. Then the missing font is replaced with the default font. (edit: You can still duplicate that layer and flatten the duplicated layer and hide the text layer thought that worked but it does not. https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/5938 A fix promised with Gimp 2.10.24 Gimp PDF export really is terrible)
If you really need the text with the metrics embedded then Inkscape v1 does this. Make the graphic in Gimp. Add text and export to PDF using Inkscape.
Many thanks for this response. The tech side is a little bit beyond me but I get the gist of what you are saying. I'll try what you suggest.
Gimp is a fantastic free graphics tool and its great that there is a forum to ask when things go wrong! Thanks again.