Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free select tool questions
Hi all, new to the forum. I have always used PS but can no longer on this machine so trying Gimp. I'm trying to define a weak stamping on a small automotive electrical relay. Having trouble with the free select tool losing the inside edge while trying to bucket fill the selection. So let me show you the image and you guys please give me some insight on how to make this image good enough for a rubber stamp company. The Tree and W are what I am working on. You can see that part of the left side of tree is either worn off or didn't stamp correctly. This relay will be bead blasted, re painted in catalyzed automotive paint, and hopefully re stamped with acrylic enamel. So to reiterate, I've managed to create the outer selection, and the inner but when trying to fill the inner disappears and I can't get it back.

[Image: relay.jpg]
I would not even go the fuzzy select route. Trace the logo with the paths tool. The tree is (almost) symmetrical trace half, duplicate path, flip path, stroke path. The W, a little different, trace the outline to keep the sharp corners. Fill the path.

In real time 5'30'' https://youtu.be/wMESf6Aw5m0
In addition, if your OSX is BigSur then there are a known problem with Gimp not showing the marching ants. The selection is there but you cannot see it the usual way. But you can still use the "Quick Mask" or the selection editor to check it.
(09-08-2021, 10:01 AM)rich2005 Wrote: I would not even go the fuzzy select route. Trace the logo with the paths tool. The tree is (almost) symmetrical trace half, duplicate path, flip path, stroke path.  The W, a little different, trace the outline to keep the sharp corners. Fill the path.

In real time 5'30'' https://youtu.be/wMESf6Aw5m0

Thanks so much for the tutorial!!

(09-08-2021, 12:13 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: In addition, if your OSX is BigSur then there are a known problem with Gimp not showing the marching ants. The selection is there but you cannot see it the usual way. But you can still use the "Quick Mask" or the selection editor to check it.

I'm still on Yosemite