Version GIMP 2.8
OS Linux Mint
Problem: Unable to resize text. I:
1. Open GIMP
2. Create new image 12 X 16 inches with transparent background
3. Open text tool
4. Either copy / paste or type text into image
5. No problem changing font, etc
6. Attempts to change text size either on on image dialog box or on the tool bar have no effect. The changes in one place do not make a corresponding change in the other. The text size remains at the eye popping poster size of 16 pixels! (or corresponding size in other measures) Fortunately GIMP allows me to zoom in on the text so I can verify that it is actually there. It is.
I must be missing something.(That is why I provided a detailed step by step.) Any suggestions?
Quote:2. Create new image 12 X 16 inches with transparent background
Just a reminder, Gimp is a raster (bitmap) editor, works with pixels. A size in inches makes no sense without reference to the pixels-per-unit (PPI) settings. The consequence, a text size of 16 pix might be either tiny (say 300 ppi) or large (say 72 ppi)

Transparency does not affect the text tool, at least not here, Gimp 2.8 / Ubuntu 18.04

Quote:6. Attempts to change text size either on on image dialog box or on the tool bar have no effect. The changes in one place do not make a corresponding change in the other.

You could try resetting the tool options in case something is stuck. Edit -> Preferences -> Tool Options and Reset Saved Tool Options to Default Values

For changing text properties, the obvious, make sure the text layer is active and the text tool is active, that is, click in the on canvas text box for a cursor to show.  This is how it should works

1. The text tool options determines overall properties, changing these,  changes all the text. 

2. The on-canvas text tool settings are there to adjust selected text, size / colour / kerning ...  (don't use this to adjust all the text, use the tool options)

3. There is the old editor dialogue, can be useful when copy / paste is used. It will tell you when you are over-enthusiastic. This does use the tool options settings. Set font size, draw in the text box, invoke the editor, paste in the copied text.

By default, Gimp keeps the last used settings. If the last used font size was 16 pix the that is what comes up on next time used.
Thank you so much for your help. Now we are getting somewhere.