Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Layer - New guide by percent ?
I know the feature that creates new guides at 50% of the image (horizontal and vertical) - Image - Guide - New guide (by percent).

How can I do this in layers?

I thank you in advance for your help.
You can not add guides on a per layer basis. A guide is global, either on or off.

For a layer, you might make a layer group, add an overlay layer and paint in "pseudo" guides.

Edit: There is an old plugin GAT-tools where you can make pre-set of guides, load & replace from a menu.

I zipped on an old post https://www.gimp-forum.net/attachment.php?aid=2243  might work for you.

Edit Again: Removed a hands-on method. 
Just remembered that my usual guides-grid.scm has an option for guides placed on a layer. Probably posted on some other thread but here again, unzip put in your scripts folder.  No percentage, only by number of divisions or pixels. example: https://i.imgur.com/9SB0h4F.jpg

Attached Files
.zip   guides-grid.zip (Size: 1.01 KB / Downloads: 276)
Hi Rich2005,

The hands-on method really works, I don't remember ever having used or even known about the Layer - Transparency - Alpha to selection option. 

Only that in step 02 (Retangle select - Click on canvas) I found this selection a little inaccurate, or at least more laborious.
But using step 04 together with step 02:
Retangle select - Image - guides - new guides from selection, and voilà.

I downloaded the guides-tools and guides-grid, installed them but I haven't had time to test them yet.
I also downloaded the ofn-guides-from-layer, which I ended up finding while searching for a solution, but I will also have to read the manual first and then test it.

That's what I'm going to do now, test these resources and then finish my editing paused until now.

Thank you so much Rich2005 !!
I have been looking around at the available scripts and plugins for one that places guides on a layer as a percentage of the layer size.

Nothing that I can find, some requests for similar, nothing usable. Maybe someone has a suggestion?

In the meantime, Ofnuts plugin ofn-guides-from-layer.py which places edge guides is the closest.

This a quick hack based on that plugin, no guarantee that it is 100%

... and a plea to Ofnuts, a new / updated plugin maybe with options (horizontal / vertical / both ) included. Might occupy your coffee break or perhaps not even that long Wink

Attached Files
.zip   percentage-guides-on-layer.zip (Size: 1.21 KB / Downloads: 148)
(03-01-2020, 10:10 AM)rich2005 Wrote: ... and a plea to Ofnuts, a new / updated plugin maybe with options (horizontal / vertical / both ) included. Might occupy your coffee break or perhaps not even that long Wink

Let's pursue this matter here.
(03-01-2020, 10:10 AM)rich2005 Wrote: I have been looking around at the available scripts and plugins for one that places guides on a layer as a percentage of the layer size.

Nothing that I can find, some requests for similar, nothing usable. Maybe someone has a suggestion?

In the meantime, Ofnuts plugin ofn-guides-from-layer.py which places edge guides is the closest.

This a quick hack based on that plugin, no guarantee that it is 100%

... and a plea to Ofnuts, a new / updated plugin maybe with options (horizontal / vertical / both ) included. Might occupy your coffee break or perhaps not even that long Wink
Rich2005,

With guides_tools I was not lucky, the List Guides script generates an error (GIMP Error
Execution error for 'List Guides':
Error: (: 1) atom-> string: needs 1 argument (s)) and don't list anything.

With gat_tooll-210, I noticed some instability. Some functions ok, others generating an error. I liked the feature of being able to save and load guides, but there is no information in the folder where these guides are saved. I tried to read the script and find where that folder would be, I tried to use windows search to find a file I saved, but without success.

The guide-grids were useful and met my needs.

But percentage-guides-on-layer is undoubtedly the most effective! Fast, uncomplicated and completely meets what I was needing.

Rich2005, thank you very much!
Quote: List Guides script generates an error (GIMP Error Execution error for 'List Guides':
Error: (: 1) atom-> string: needs 1 argument (s)) and don't list anything.
Gat tools ...I liked the feature of being able to save and load guides, but there is no information in the folder where these guides are saved.

Both the GAT tools plugin and list-guides script are old, made for Gimp 2.8
The list-guides is working here: Image -> Guides -> List Guides tried both linux and Win 10 so no comment on errors.
GAT tools puts a gat_tools.cfg file in the C:\Users\'yourname' folder. Hope it is still working. A text file, after Set1 start making your own names Set2...etc
All in one screenshot, Win10 (VM) Gimp 2.10.18 https://i.imgur.com/cAvlx4r.jpg
-----------
I use guides a lot, often use the grid-of-guides script. One thing I recommend setting up, is a hot-key for removing all guides, to save having to delve into the image menu.
Ah ... now the whereabouts of this gat_tools.cfg have been found!
I didn't know the name of the file that Set1 was saved to. I used the name GuidesSalvasLogo01, instead of Set01, and I thought this was going to be the file name.

[GuidesSalvasLogo01]
vertical = 750,0,1500,316,688,1068,1444,688,188
horizontal = 1333,0,2666,1220,956,1291,1636,2008,2380,1761

Thx Rich2005.
(02-28-2020, 05:15 PM)Krikor Wrote: I know the feature that creates new guides at 50% of the image (horizontal and vertical) - Image - Guide - New guide (by percent).

How can I do this in layers?

I thank you in advance for your help.

I see lots of solutions that probably get you what you need, but I posted this a while back for just adding crosshairs per layer. I still use it nearly every day and thought you might find this useful in addition to the more powerful solutions.

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Crosshair-Guides
(03-02-2020, 09:25 PM)akovia Wrote: I see lots of solutions that probably get you what you need, but I posted this a while back for just adding crosshairs per layer. I still use it nearly every day and thought you might find this useful in addition to the more powerful solutions.

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Crosshair-Guides

@akovia,

Sorry for the "a little" late thanks.  Blush
Somehow I didn't have the attention to thank you after reading your post above.  Angel
Your tip was excellent, I don't think there's a single day that I don't use this script.

Thanks for the suggestion, for the attached script and for the video!  Heart

Thank you very much!
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.