Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIMP on Android
Wink 
All- I have seen this question on a few posts across the internet, so I wanted to just post our project that we just put up on the google play store.  We were able to put the GIMP that we all know and love onto Android.  You will find that it truly is the application that you are familiar with and we were able to optimize the touch interface experience.  Would love if the group here gives it a try.  You can find the link below.  This is a paid version, but you can access a free version (with a little more work) through our UserLAnd app.  Our GIMP app is a very smooth experience though and would recommend it.  Thanks!

Edit: I will replace the google store with the link to the 'free' source
https://userland.tech/
Any one interested in paying $1-99 , which is not a great amount , can use the link there to the Google store.
(04-09-2022, 09:50 PM)userlandtech Wrote: All- I have seen this question on a few posts across the internet, so I wanted to just post our project that we just put up on the google play store.  We were able to put the GIMP that we all know and love onto Android.  You will find that it truly is the application that you are familiar with and we were able to optimize the touch interface experience.  Would love if the group here gives it a try.  You can find the link below.  This is a paid version, but you can access a free version (with a little more work) through our UserLAnd app.  Our GIMP app is a very smooth experience though and would recommend it.  Thanks!

Angry Angry Angry
I don't know what upset me the most... the shear fact that you came here to sell a product or the fact that you are selling GIMP right in my face ➤ knowing you will not give 1 cent to the GIMP team.
Also the fact that you lying to us by telling us that YOU have a free version "hidden" behind an another app of yours and don't give the link to that version upset me even more, but after further searches I discovered that you cannot give that link because it does not depend about your app which is a WM for debian or Ubuntu or whatever, thus you don't have choice that those distros allow the user to DOWNLOAD GIMP via the software center of these distro and I wont be surprised that people will need to buy to "unlock" the software center of those distro as it's written on Google "In App Purchase" ➤ Making GIMP NOT FREE as well.

Anyway I don't care if about the later I'm right or wrong, what I care is you came here to sell a product, even if it's GIMP, you're selling something ➤ you are spamming for your product ➤ thus you are a spammer, and as this I'm reporting your post as spam (Admin will decide) as we don't have to loose time with spammers selling things
It is permissible to sell Gimp with certain provisions. see: https://www.gimp.org/about/selling.html

Used to be the case where Gimp was bundled with some extras, brushes / patterns / some documents, then put on a CD and sold. The buyer 'paying' for the 'cost' of the distribution not Gimp.

I would really like to know how up to date this is and how well it works on Android. Years ago there was a version, a bundled Gimp / Inkscape that ran in a virtual linux. Total disaster.

Looking at their home page UserLand: Use Linux Anywhere that is the way this works as well.
(04-09-2022, 09:50 PM)userlandtech Wrote: Edit: I will replace the google store with the link to the 'free' source
Any one interested in paying $1-99 , which is not a great amount , can use the link there to the Google store.

Thanks for that Wink
(04-10-2022, 07:48 AM)rich2005 Wrote: It is permissible to sell Gimp with certain provisions. see: https://www.gimp.org/about/selling.html

Used to be the case where Gimp was bundled with some extras, brushes / patterns / some documents,  then put on a CD and sold. The buyer 'paying' for the 'cost' of the distribution not Gimp.

I would really like to know how up to date this is and how well it works on Android. Years ago there was a version, a bundled Gimp / Inkscape that ran in a virtual linux. Total disaster.

Looking at their home page UserLand: Use Linux Anywhere that is the way this works as well.

Thanks @rich2005 - 
We worked hard to make sure it is a good experience using a touch interface.  Let me know your thoughts on it and if there is anything we can do to improve it.
(04-09-2022, 09:50 PM)userlandtech Wrote: All- I have seen this question on a few posts across the internet, so I wanted to just post our project that we just put up on the google play store.  We were able to put the GIMP that we all know and love onto Android.  You will find that it truly is the application that you are familiar with and we were able to optimize the touch interface experience.  Would love if the group here gives it a try.  You can find the link below.  This is a paid version, but you can access a free version (with a little more work) through our UserLAnd app.  Our GIMP app is a very smooth experience though and would recommend it.  Thanks!

Edit: I will replace the google store with the link to the 'free' source

I actually wanted to do just this, run GIMP on Android.  I think the best link would be the github page: https://github.com/CypherpunkArmory/GIMP 
That userland.tech site had a link, but to a different app which isn't GIMP but instead is a full linux distro.  The correct app seems to be tech.ula.gimp on the Play Store.  The first result, XGIMP, is not GIMP, so it was a bit hard to find the correct app.
For anyone interested it goes like this
Go to https://userland.tech/
Scroll down and click on the Google Play button
That takes you to the userland linux installation but
Scroll down past the reviews - whats new - additional information and at the bottom is
More by Userland Technologies one of which is their Gimp offering.

By all means go to https://github.com/CypherpunkArmory/GIMP where there is also a Google Play button which also takes you to the Gimp offering.

Just remember, nothing that comes out of Google / Android is truly free. All about data-slurping.
Yo all, hi there...

Is it just this single one, or else how many threads split off meanwhile from this introductory note?

I could do with some troubleshooting guidance on Gimp by UserlandTech, as I'm trying to get it to work on a phonescreen. It's far from an ideal situation, I know that from former experience with the Gimp/Inkscape app by pelya. But a whole bunch of configuration options were fairly straightforward with that one. Intertwined as it came with XFCE functionality, that brought a filemanager and some environmental UI goodies.
Now this one here I'm not so sure, even if it proves way better optimized for touchscreen control. Like, the first thing I'll do to any current Gimp version is take it out of its single window mode, in an attempt to rearrange a variety of windows to taste. So that's what I did. This instantly affects the scaling of otherwise secondary tooloption windows to such dramatic extent that I seem to have lost any capacity to navigate and operate the app in a normal fashion. Insofar as I managed to open  an image file using a Ctrl+O keyboard shortcut, this imagewindow is nowhere in sight, much less an attending menu-bar that would serve me to revert to single window mode.
Please tell me how I may escape this fix. Having closed these obtrusive toolwindows by Alt+F4s, only a command line X-term is what remains. Can I use that to restart the app at manageable defaults? If so, how goes the exact command including options to set there?
If this would allow a fresh start I'll take it from there, and reserve other questions on filemanager functionality for a later date. As modern Android version tend to hide all these internals, and even TotalCommander doesn't show me much.

[+ the "owner"/publisher of this lovely concoction really ought to issue a fair warning in the PlayStore that, including subsequent "asset"downloads à 293 MB, their app will grow positively HUGE! Storage space ≈ 1.22 GB, just like old pelya's.]

The attachment [if it shows up] shows a oncetime 5" screen set-up preference. (Focus follows mouse, with window activation on a short, comfy slack.)