Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GMIC
I am using default 20.04. I wonder whether it is possible to use the latest GMIC and associated features.

Does a default 20.04 support the latest of GIMP ? I am using an App image suggested through this forum. I currently use @rich2005 provided GMIC, which I was told is a custom one and was added manually. The app image is GIMP + plugins. Thanks.
(08-02-2021, 06:07 AM)meetdilip Wrote: I am using default 20.04. I wonder whether it is possible to use the latest GMIC and associated features.

Does a default 20.04 support the latest of GIMP ? I am using an App image suggested through this forum. I currently use @rich2005 provided GMIC, which I was told is a custom one and was added manually. The app image is GIMP + plugins. Thanks.

20.04?
Do you mean Ubuntu 20.04? If so it's a LTS, next LTS would be 22.04 (in April 2022),
Actual 20.10 and 21.04 are bleeding edge => NSFW with support for like 6-10 months only, I did the mistake once (upgraded from 18.04 to 19.04, never again, anyway I did prefer 16.04)
Unless you install GIMP via the Ubuntu snap system (Ubuntu is now forcing users to use snap), you might not have the latest GIMP/G'MIC in the Ubuntu store, but you can download/install G'MIC directly from https://gmic.eu

(08-02-2021, 06:07 AM)meetdilip Wrote: I currently use @rich2005 provided GMIC, which I was told is a custom one and was added manually.

OK, It's nice from rich2005 to make one, but I don't understand why, as on the G'MIC website you have everything you need to download, you can download a .deb or the plugin directly (.zip), also you can be assured that's the latest version (you can even try the dev version)

In the end to answer your question, Yes you can use the very latest G'MIC and even the developer version if you like, going back to Ubuntu 18.10... which either your GIMP is an appimage or was installed via a PPA or .deb package
I tried both stable and dev from https://gmic.eu/

Sadly, when I replace the custom qt plugin with the official one, there is no option for GMIC in the Filters menu. But when I replace it with the custom qt plugin, it works fine.
It is a question of QT compatibility.

Using 'buntu 20.04 or a spin-off such as Mint20 and a Gimp appimage then the appimage uses an earlier version of QT which is built into the appimage.

So you need a plugin which works with that earlier version of QT.  The ones I compile are for this (from 'buntu 18.04 source), the ones from the gmic site use the newer QT hence are not compatible.

simple as that.

---------
Quote:]Does a default 20.04 support the latest of GIMP ?

For  'buntu20.04 (or Mint20) the default Gimp is 2.10.18 - that comes from the base debian that 'buntu uses.

You can add a PPA and get Gimp 2.10.24 -  This is active and should update when 2.10.26 comes along. This  might be an idea, since it looks like the maintainer of the appimage has given up. I hope he is ok in these worrying times.  

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/gimp
sudo apt update
sudo apt install gimp

The official gmic_gimp_qt plugin does work with this installation. It does come with snags. There is no official python support for Gimp 2.10.24    All those nice python plugins no longer work.

It is possible to add python using some old deb packages, see: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Heal-S...4#pid18354 

Not difficult but does need some understanding of linux.
Thanks @rich2005 . So nice of you to work on the GMIC plugin.

Is 2.10.26 close ? What happened to the App Image maintainer ?
(08-03-2021, 12:00 PM)meetdilip Wrote: Is 2.10.26 close ? What happened to the App Image maintainer ?

I do not know to both those questions.
(08-03-2021, 07:34 AM)rich2005 Wrote:It is a question of QT compatibility.

Using 'buntu 20.04 or a spin-off such as Mint20 and a Gimp appimage then the appimage uses an earlier version of QT which is built into the appimage.

So you need a plugin which works with that earlier version of QT.  The ones I compile are for this (from 'buntu 18.04 source), the ones from the gmic site use the newer QT hence are not compatible.

simple as that.

But from now on, he will always depend on you for its G'MIC... Don't get me wrong, what you do is EXTREMELY USEFUL, and so nice!
But If he download the gmic.deb from gmic.eu for its 20.04 distro then don't use GDebi to install the .deb package as it will tell him that there is the latest version already installed(which is old), but instead force the install and dependancies by:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i --force-all gmic-for-its-distro.deb

and this will work like a charm (I did this because I got the same problem > Ubuntu-MATE 20.04 gimp with plugins appimage from aferrero, also @leftyleo on GC had the same problem with its Linux Mint 19.3, and appimage from aferrero he did this (the above code) and everything is now working nicely and he even told me that somewthing from "samj" which was not working anymore, worked again after using dpkg --force-all to install latest gmic)

As for python2 with the ubuntuhandbook PPA (nice PPA BTW and I'm very happy thatt Jim is continuing it as otto did stop), I did solved the problem with sudo apt install python2 (did not even need to go in step 3)
All python plug ins are now working I just keep under the hood this link > https://linuxconfig.org/ubuntu-20-04-pyt...h-manager/ if one day I do need to switch between python2 and 3, but I never needed it.
Quote:But from now on, he will always depend on you for its G'MIC... Don't get me wrong, what you do is EXTREMELY USEFUL, and so nice!

Thank you for the compliment (I think), however unless you write the code and compile it you will always depend on someone  else - even you depend on Gimp developers, gmic developers, Ofnuts for his plugins...

Lets get back to the original question which was: (I will try and keep remarks concise)

Quote:Does a default 20.04  support the latest of GIMP ? I am using an App image suggested through this forum

...and the answer is yes, but the Appimage will eventually lag behind.

Why an appimage ?
Self contained and at the time more up-to-date than alternatives. The default Gimp in 'focal' is 2.10.18. The Appimage also overcomes some of the 'sandboxed' issues with snap or flatpak versions.

Gmic and Appimage
- Installing the deb package from gmic.eu without a regular Gimp installed results in a broken package. It is a dynamic version. Not going to work with the Appimage. Not recommended.  https://i.imgur.com/eQt2m7b.jpg
- There is a gmic package in the focal repo,  gmic 2.4.   Old, pulls in a mountain of dependencies,  and still not going to work with an appimage. https://i.imgur.com/ZgzSxrB.jpg

What is the future for the Appimage.
Sadly it looks like end-of-life for the Appimage, unless someone takes over. It has happened before when the otto-kesselgulasch PPA died and Panda Jim eventually replaced it. It was big gap for regular users filled by the Appimage. There is also a gmic package in the ubuntuhandbook1 PPA but it is gmic 2.9.4 - still not the latest.

The future after Gimp 2.10.24 and the gmic plugin
- Use the ubuntuhandbook1 PPA Gimp 2.10.x with the gmic.eu zip package. That is a static version, put it in your user profile. Disadvantage no gimp-python packages in the PPA.
- Use the flatpak Gimp version. No need to install python2, for python plugins, it is bundled with the flatpak. 
There is a bespoke flatpak gmic. Last time I checked not very up-to-date, Ask the developers.   https://i.imgur.com/lwQ38Kd.jpg
(08-07-2021, 09:48 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Thank you for the compliment (I think), however unless you write the code and compile it you will always depend on someone  else - even you depend on Gimp developers, gmic developers, Ofnuts for his plugins...

You're very welcome, yes it's a compliment, I mean you are doing thing to help people way-way above expectations like compiling a special G'MIC especially for that case, that's a big Woww for me!

(08-07-2021, 09:48 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Gmic and Appimage
- Installing the deb package from gmic.eu without a regular Gimp installed results in a broken package. It is a dynamic version. Not going to work with the Appimage. Not recommended.  https://i.imgur.com/eQt2m7b.jpg
- There is a gmic package in the focal repo,  gmic 2.4.   Old, pulls in a mountain of dependencies,  and still not going to work with an appimage. https://i.imgur.com/ZgzSxrB.jpg

OK, now I understand why it's working on my distro and the leftyleo's distro, it's because we do have the regular GIMP installed as well on our systems... Interesting.

(08-07-2021, 09:48 AM)rich2005 Wrote: What is the future for the Appimage.
Sadly it looks like end-of-life for the Appimage, unless someone takes over. It has happened before when the otto-kesselgulasch PPA died and Panda Jim eventually replaced it. It was big gap for regular users filled by the Appimage. There is also a gmic package in the ubuntuhandbook1 PPA but it is gmic 2.9.4 - still not the latest.

About aferrero, I'm kind of worried (about him), I just hope that he only gave up and hope that nothing bad happened to him.

About the gmic package in the ubuntuhandbook1 PPA, I would say that this one we can update it  Big Grin

(08-07-2021, 09:48 AM)rich2005 Wrote: The future after Gimp 2.10.24 and the gmic plugin
- Use the ubuntuhandbook1 PPA Gimp 2.10.x with the gmic.eu zip package. That is a static version, put it in your user profile. Disadvantage no gimp-python packages in the PPA.
- Use the flatpak Gimp version. No need to install python2, for python plugins, it is bundled with the flatpak. 
There is a bespoke flatpak gmic. Last time I checked not very up-to-date, Ask the developers.   https://i.imgur.com/lwQ38Kd.jpg

I will not speak about Flatpak nor snap as the forum's rules forbid to speak about politic or religion Angel , nonetheless those two monstrosity which takes forever to start and take so many storage space with so many known problems, for instance to install a plugin which is not flat or snob...
If the day come that I feel I have no more choice => Umm how to tell, MX Linux is in my sight for awhile now (I'm just to lazy to save all my data and switch to it, for now), my 2 kids are on MX Linux for a year now (their computers were my testing distro  Big Grin ) It's a beautiful, rock solid, very customizable distro and their standard/regular GIMP from the software center is 2.10.24   Wink

In all cases, thanks a lot rich2005, that was very instructive and interesting.
MX Linux is a good choice, It has origins in SimplyMEPIS which I used from about 2004 to 2009