Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting a Parsing error in files
Hi all,

I installed a bunch of new brushes, patterns and gradients, but they don't show up when I open up GIMP (2.10), and when I go to refresh any of them I keep getting 'fatal parse error in ___ file: Unknown format version' errors. I don't know if this means I just didn't install the files correctly or if the files themselves are not of the correct file type.

The brushes are .abr, the patterns are .pat and the gradients are .grd. I installed them in \users\myanme\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\(brushes OR patterns OR gradients depending on what they are). Can someone help point me in the right direction so I can correct this? Thanks so much in advance!
Quote:...Can someone help point me in the right direction so I can correct this?

Are all the error messages associated with any particular format ? Recent PS .abr brushes are favourite for not working, next .pat might be Gimp pattern files but could be PS or from some other program. The .pat suffix is quite popular.
Gradients .grd ? Where are they from ? Gimp gradients are .ggr
In case you ever come back

I had a look for that error and it seems to be PS patterns related.
Error loading 'C:\Users\r....patterns\engraved holes pattern.pat': Fatal parse error in pattern file: Unknown pattern format version 65536.

It is possible to convert to a suitable Gimp format see: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Conver...2#pid27492
(01-12-2022, 04:33 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:...Can someone help point me in the right direction so I can correct this?

Are all the error messages associated with any particular format ? Recent PS .abr brushes are favourite for not working, next .pat might be Gimp pattern files but could be PS or from some other program. The .pat suffix is quite popular.
Gradients .grd ? Where are they from ? Gimp gradients are .ggr

Yes, they are all photoshop files, which I thought worked in gimp. Thanks for the link to convert them to gimp format! I really appreciate it!
(01-13-2022, 03:53 PM)rich2005 Wrote: In case you ever come back

I had a look for that error and it seems to be PS patterns related.
Error loading 'C:\Users\r....patterns\engraved holes pattern.pat': Fatal parse error in pattern file: Unknown pattern format version 65536.

It is possible to convert to a suitable Gimp format see:  https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Conver...2#pid27492

Hi, I ran into another problem.

While trying to run the ABR application or the ps-pat-load_1 application, I get this error: 
[Image: 28cb411932ea94d259daeb1d0f9dcc1d]

[if the picture doesn't load, it says it cannot find libgimp-2.0.0.dll]

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Gimp, but this doesn't seem to fix the problem. Where can can I get this DLL file and where do I add it for Gimp to run these programs?
Don't go installing and re-installing Gimp, it very rarely works, usually it is some other problem.

You are trying to run the plugins alone. Gimp plugins do not run outside of Gimp.

Some quick video demos here, should get you started.
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Conver...8#pid27508

Hate Fridays, too much to do. That is it for today, closing down.
The thing about Windows, it's got that steaming pile called the "Registry" and since it's so prone to becoming corrupt, and simply removing and re-installing a misbehaved program clears up problems often enough, that for many users it is a path of least resistance towards repair.

I'm not saying it's a "good" or preferred practice, but it works often enough that one cannot discount completely, either.

(01-14-2022, 09:02 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Don't go installing and re-installing Gimp, it very rarely works, usually it is some other problem.

You are trying to run the plugins alone. Gimp plugins do not run outside of Gimp.

Some quick video demos here, should get you started.
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Conver...8#pid27508

Hate Fridays, too much to do. That is it for today, closing down.

Thanks, that is very helpful!

(01-14-2022, 09:43 PM)rickk Wrote: The thing about Windows, it's got that steaming pile called the "Registry" and since it's so prone to becoming corrupt, and simply removing and re-installing a misbehaved program clears up problems often enough, that for many users it is a path of least resistance towards repair.

I'm not saying it's a "good" or preferred practice, but it works often enough that one cannot discount completely, either.

It seems reinstalling is always Windows' go-to solution for anything that misbehaves lol! I'm going to try converting them the way the vids show, wish me luck!
(01-14-2022, 11:05 PM)SarahDalrymple Wrote: It seems reinstalling is always Windows' go-to solution for anything that misbehaves 

I'm not trying  to say that doing so is a "best practice" by any means. But it does work often enough that a categorical denial saying "never do this", is not entirely practical, either.

For one, you have the registry, prone to unintended consequences from other software updates and installation.

But for another, all too often you have users (myself included) who, whenever prompted,  just click on "OK" throughout the entire install, trying to expedite the process, without really paying attention to what they are agreeing to.   And when the end product works, they feel rewarded.

But when there are unanticipated problems, I think it is only natural to second guess such carelessness.

Consequently for me, when I say "I removed and reinstalled" what I'm really saying is "I carefully reinstalled, making sure I was attentive to every possible option along the way" so the end problem is not a result of my inattentiveness. 

And I don't think that I am unique in that regard, (fwiw)  By saying you have installed twice and the pattern persists, implies that the failure is reproducible. Which in itself  is a valid part of problem solving