Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp 2.10.6 appimage?
Is there a 2.10.6 appimage anywhere?  The latest I can find is 2.10.5.  I have issues with Flatpak:  It says I already have 2.10.6 installed, but it is 2.8, and I don't know how to remove it.  When I try to start Gimp with Flatpak it starts 2.8
(09-06-2018, 10:11 AM)mholder Wrote: Is there a 2.10.6 appimage anywhere?  The latest I can find is 2.10.5. 

The only one is here: https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage/releases/ but it is work in progress and some things do not work. Generally no need for cutting edge, I would use the 2.10.4 release.

[/quote]I have issues with Flatpak:  It says I already have 2.10.6 installed, but it is 2.8, and I don't know how to remove it.  When I try to start Gimp with Flatpak it starts 2.8 [/quote]

Sounds like the shortcut is pointing to the wrong place.

In a terminal run, to determine if it works

Code:
flatpak run org.gimp.GIMP

For flatpak options (such as uninstall) in a terminal

Code:
flatpak help
(09-06-2018, 10:11 AM)mholder Wrote: Is there a 2.10.6 appimage anywhere?  The latest I can find is 2.10.5.  I have issues with Flatpak:  It says I already have 2.10.6 installed, but it is 2.8, and I don't know how to remove it.  When I try to start Gimp with Flatpak it starts 2.8

This may be your current 2.8, AFAIK there has never been a flatpak for 2.8.

How do you start the 2.10 version? My launcher for 2.10 says:

Code:
/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=gimp-2.10 --file-forwarding org.gimp.GIMP @@u %U @@
When I do:

flatpak run org.gimp.GIMP

Gimp 2.8 starts.

So I looked up the help, and I did:

flatpak uninstall org.gimp.GIMP

It uninstalled 2.8! Excellent! Now I need to make sure I do the correct flatpak install of Gimp 2.10
I'll try again from Gimp.org site's instructions.

@Ofnuts I start 2.10 with an appimage. I believed that I had Flatpak and 2.10 in some flatpak on my machine, but I guess I did not.

Now when I try to install the Gimp 2.10 flatpak there is a massive download of flatpak and Nvidia stuff, as well as ffmpeg, which I thought I had the current version.

Right now the terminal is saying it is installing Gimp, from flathub, but I can only hope it is 2.10.

As usual, this is a painful process, as are most program installations on a Linux-based system. The absolute best I've seen so far is appimage, but someone must make it first. There is how many things like this? The synaptic installer thing, deb packages, appimages, and now this flatpak is supposed to be better? I don't see how, and I imagine soon there will be something new and confusing.

It seemed to work this time! YES! Okay, what happens when 2.10.7 comes out? Does the flatpak automatically update?
You just do a flatpak update in a terminal to have flatpak look for updates.