Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp 2.10 cannot export work to png or jpg
Hallo everyone

I installed GIMP 2.10 yesterday and it looks great. But..

1) I cannot export my work to either jpg or png formats. (Have not tried other formats) When you click the export button nothing happens. The little dialogue that would normally pop up in 2.8 where you can select your export settings for png for example just never pops up. 

2) I get an error during program startup to this effect.. gmic_gimp.exe - Entry point not found. The procedure entry point basic_string_char_traits_find_first could not be located in the dynamic link library c:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\libexiv2.dll. I just ok the error and the program starts up.

3a) I noticed a few small things that seem to me to be not right. For example: The eraser tool does not work as expected. The brush does not follow the mouse pointer while the left mouse button is down. Once you release the left mouse button, the erase action takes place. This turns erasing into guesswork. 

3b) On many (if not all) of the tool properties where you can adjust settings for a brush or for a layer etc.. you have an up and down arrow next to the setting that can be used to increase or decrease the setting. These arrows are now single press. If you click and hold down, the value only increase once, it does not increase while the mouse button is down. For example, if you want to change the size of a brush from say 50 to 60 using the arrows, you will have to click the up arrow 10 times. You cant click on the up arrow and hold down the left mouse button and it will continue to go up...

I use Windows 10 Pro 32bit with quad core processor. 
Need to fix point 1.. or go back to 2.8. 

PS: Any way to install both 2.8 and 2.10 at the same time?

Thanks
Einston

Attached Files Image(s)

Certainly something wrong with the latest Gimp 2.10.O windows installer, at least when it comes to a 32 bit installation. I only have a Win7 32 bit (VM) and the Gimp 2.10 installation was strange. Opened with no icons in the tool-box (I think this is a reported bug) Edit -> Preferences -> Interface -> Icon Theme fixed that.

As you reported an opened image will not export as a jpeg. I think this version is not suitable for 32 bit Windows yet.

Stick with the Gimp 2.8 installation for the moment.

If you want Gimp 2.10 then one way is the samj portable Gimp: https://samjcreations.blogspot.co.uk/201...p-210.html

download is http://www.aljacom.com/~gimp/GimpEval-2.10-Win.7z this is a big download 400 MB and unzips (note a 7z archive) into both 32 and 64 bit versions.

Put the 32 bit folder in C:\Program Files\ and make a shortcut to the appropriate language Gimp launcher.

screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/WRFmqYk.jpg

Quote:..PS: Any way to install both 2.8 and 2.10 at the same time?

Edit I believe an updated Gimp 2.10.2 will be released in about a weeks time. Worth waiting a week or so.

Yes, but it is a PITA, because Gimp will install over an existing installation.

Rename Gimp 2.8 installation C:\Program Files\GIMP 2 C:\Program Files\GIMP 2-bak
Use the Win10 program uninstaller to uninstall Gimp 2.8, it asks if you want to remove the entry - yes
Install Gimp 2.10 and given the choice, install to C:\Program Files\GIMP 210\
Do not run Gimp 2.10 - rename the gimp 2.8 profile C:\Users\yourname\.gimp-2.8 to prevent migration to the Gimp 2.10 profile.
Run Gimp 2.10 to create a new Gimp 2.10 profile C:\Users\your-name\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\
Rename the Gimp 2.8 profile back to original, rename the Gimp 2.8 installation back to original
Make a new shortcut for Gimp 2.8.