Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp 2.10 error opening XCF
After updating to Gimp 2.10 on Mac, I get the following error when opening some XCF files: "GIMP Message: Warning, invalid image parasite in XCF file: ICC profile validation failed: Parasites's flags are not (PERSISTENT | UNDOABLE)".
(05-08-2019, 06:24 PM)connorhawke Wrote: After updating to Gimp 2.10 on Mac, I get the following error when opening some XCF files: "GIMP Message: Warning, invalid image parasite in XCF file: ICC profile validation failed: Parasites's flags are not (PERSISTENT | UNDOABLE)".

Not many Mac users on this forum so looking generally. I never had that error even with old files, must be lucky.

Probably not a specific Mac issue. This has shown up in various forms over the years. This spanning some time up to a month ago: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/987  Opening an older Gimp .xcf is not always backward compatible.

Gimp 2.8 handled meta data in a very limited way. Gimp 2.10 has more features. 

You could try an experiment. In Edit -> Preferences -> Image Import & Export there are 
1) Colour profile policy: Change to convert to RGB
2) Four toggles for exporting metadata: Untick those

Re-save the Gimp files in Gimp 2.10 format. See if re-opening still shows the error.

From your other post in gimpusers forum:

Quote:...some text in existing XCFs don't seem to want to be reformatted; font, etc keeps reverting. As a workaround new text needs to be created....

This is probably caused by the font no longer available (or not found - Gimp 2.10 uses a different Gimp profile to 2.8). Gimp keeps 'as-is' until you try and edit and the text  changes to the default  usually sans. There is a script to show the existing font properties to determine the font name.