Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp consistently crashing on startup
Too late to start up another machine and a Windows VM, but running gimp --verbose here in linux and the lines just after
INIT: gui_restore_callback where your installation stops is a block dealing with the clipboard.

clipboard: writable pixbuf format: image/png
clipboard: writable pixbuf format: image/x-icon

Clutching at straws:
Have you installed a new clipboard utility recently? or have you seen any change in the Windows clipboard function after the update?
edit: If it was a Windows update issue, there will be other reports, nothing I know of.
On my system (Linux), after "INIT: gui_restore_callback" Gimp is trying to figure out the formats available for the clipboard. Would you be running some clipboard utility (clipboard stack, clipboard viewer, or else)?
(10-23-2017, 08:10 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Too late to start up another machine and a Windows VM, but running gimp --verbose here in linux and the lines just after  
INIT: gui_restore_callback where your installation stops is a block dealing with the clipboard.

clipboard: writable pixbuf format: image/png
clipboard: writable pixbuf format: image/x-icon

Clutching at straws:
Have you installed a new clipboard utility recently? or have you seen any change in the Windows clipboard function after the update?
edit: If it was a Windows update issue, there will be other reports, nothing I know of.

I haven't, nor have I noticed any changes with it.  Assuming the update did change the clipboard in some way, how would one go about fixing this?
So, Rich and I had the same hunch...

Another frequent cause of Gimp misbehavior is security software (antivirus, etc...). Using any such? If so can you try to disable it temporarily?
(10-23-2017, 09:39 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: So, Rich and I had the same hunch...

Another frequent cause of Gimp misbehavior is security software (antivirus, etc...). Using any such? If so can you try to disable it temporarily?

I'm using Windows defender, and after going through a bit of hassle to turn it off, (Ironically they patched out previous ways to disable it in recent updates) Gimp still didn't want to work.
Looked at the Gimp 2.8.22 installation in a Win 10 VM on and off all day, the problem is not able to reproduce the error.

A search brings up similar problems where the usual advice, disable the gimp profile / removing Gimp and reinstalling does not work. (I was going to suggest that as a last resort. Purge all traces of Gimp and gimp profile and reinstall)

This thread is interesting: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=...=20#p90119 Worth checking that from the beginning

After much messing about, appears a new mouse driver had some effect. That could point back to the recent Win 10 update specific to your computer or to some third party application recently installed.

otherwise beat.
(10-24-2017, 05:22 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Looked at the Gimp 2.8.22 installation in a Win 10 VM on and off all day, the problem is not able to reproduce the error.

A search brings up similar problems where the usual advice, disable the gimp profile / removing Gimp and reinstalling does not work. (I was going to suggest that as a last resort. Purge all traces of Gimp and gimp profile and reinstall)

This thread is interesting: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=...=20#p90119 Worth checking that from the beginning

After much messing about, appears a new mouse driver had some effect. That could point back to the recent Win 10 update specific to your computer or to some third party application recently installed.

otherwise beat.

I've completely purged my computer of any file relating to Gimp several times now, and to no avail.  I also haven't gotten a new mouse...  I did find something while trying to start Gimp on a different profile on my computer.  This little message popped up.

[Image: TPEoTQ7.png]

I doubt this actually has anything to do with the problem, but I thought I'd share this just in case.  I'm really starting to loose hope.
  • Do you have a "C:\Users\Administrator\.gimp-2.8\gradients" and is it a file or a directory? What are the access rights on it?
  • Do you usually run as admin?
  • If so, how did you remove the profile?
(10-24-2017, 11:34 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
  • Do you have a "C:\Users\Administrator\.gimp-2.8\gradients" and is it a file or a directory? What are the access rights on it?
  • Do you usually run as admin?
  • If so, how did you remove the profile?

I do, and it's a file. It doesn't have any special access rights.

No, I normal don't run as admin.  For whatever bizarre reason Windows 10 creates a separate profile to be the admin once you make your first profile.  At any rate, after that little message popped up on the Admin account, Gimp still crashed when updating tag cache.
A file, that's weird. Can you remove the profile start Gimp, wait for the crash, and zip the contents of the profile and attach them here (or put them on some box service and PM me the URL)?