Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp crashing on startup
Hi, I just downloaded Gimp 2.10.20 on my laptop with windows 10. 
I used Gimp before on my pc and everything was fine.
But on my laptop it crushes on startup I can just see a black window come up, but it closes immediately right after.
after checking what's written there that's what I managed to find:
 ../babl-0.1.78/babl/babl-internal.h:222 babl_fatal()
        babl_format("CIE Lab double"): not found
'grep' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

that's what I get after running Gimp using "--verbose".
I have no idea what to do about it, and I'd appreciate any help. 
Thanks!
Any reason for running 2.10.20? I am running 2.10.22 just fine on a Windows 10 laptop (64 bit). Maybe a reinstall with that version?

- E
(11-27-2020, 02:22 AM)eepjr24 Wrote: Any reason for running 2.10.20? I am running 2.10.22 just fine on a Windows 10 laptop (64 bit). Maybe a reinstall with that version?

- E

I used 2.10.20 on my pc and I prefer that version. I did try to use 2.10.22 but I got the same error so I guess it's not version related.
well I managed to fix the problem by downloading Gimp 2.99.2.
it works just fine so I guess every thing is alright.
The development Gimp 2.99 does use its own Gimp profile. In Widows I think C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.99

Which suggests that the previous problem was in the Gimp 2.10 user profile C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10

Did you ever try deleting that folder ...Gimp\2.10 then running Gimp 2.10 to create a new default profile ?
(11-27-2020, 04:37 PM)Golden Wrote: well I managed to fix the problem by downloading Gimp 2.99.2.
it works just fine so I guess every thing is alright.

2.99 is still very experimental and won't support many plugins. "Mainstream" Gimp is still 2.10.x.
Just to test the theory that it's related to the space in the middle the user name, I tried creating an additional user without a space in the middle of the name, and tried starting GIMP when logged in as that user.  I'm still seeing the same problem.
My previous message seems to have gotten lost some, so I'm reposting.

I'm seeing this same problem again, and reinstalling doesn't seem to help.

I've created an issue for the problem (#6232) that includes a screenshot of the error I'm getting.
I have managed to get my issue resolved. There was an environment variable BABL_PATH set to point to a directory from a previously installed (and since removed) version of GIMP. Once I removed that environment variable, GIMP starts up properly.

I figured I should update this thread just in case somebody else stumbled across it in the future while looking for a resolution.
(01-07-2021, 07:19 PM)tjey Wrote: There was an environment variable BABL_PATH set to point to a directory from a previously installed (and since removed) version of GIMP.

AFAIK no "mainstream" Gimp version ever needed this variable, it must have been set for some rather experimental reason or version.