Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp generated "paper marbling"
Hello,

First time here, glad I found this forum because I really need your help. I'm not a graphic artist or anything like that, is just that I was looking for a tool that allows me to create "paper marbling" on the computer. I'm working with a book that I would like to send to be bind by hand and you use paper marbling for the guard pages and covers as part of the binding process. There are many to chose from but I would like to make one by myself. First I found this site called, Marbelizer. Here is the creator's web site . But it is very limited. Then I remembered that I used Gimp in the past to do very basic photo editing and wonder if it was capable to do such a thing. Well I did try, I found the warp tool to be very handy and learn the basics with layers, and filters and the end result was pure and utterly crap... awful. I will show you them, not to boast on what I did but to show you my level of incompetence. I don't even know if I'm using the right tool. I heard about other program called Krita and took a look at it, but if I'm a noobie with Gimp, with Krita I will be a zero to the left. Do you know if there are Gimp filters that provides that sort of effect when you are spreading/splashing acrylic paint over water? What about the combs? For example a warp tool that have multiple "pointers" instead of one. Do you know of any tutorial to create "Gimpaper" marbling?

First examples of beautiful, professional, paper marbling on books:

Example 1, Example 2, Example 3

And now here is what I did Sad

Paper Marbling Attempt

Best regards.
A quick 2 minute try with a gradient and the Warp Transform tool.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Off the cuff attempts:
  • Fill a layer with Filters>Render>Noise>Solid noise
  • Apply a wavy curve on each color channel (different color curve per channel)

• Repeat the process with another layer, press New Seed in the dialog to ensure you generate a different patttern
  • Experiment with layer modes on the top layer, here with Darken Only

First thoughts and a few minutes experiment and a couple of functions I might use once in a decade Wink

[Image: JKRDccZ.jpg]

Arrived at that using - Fractal Explorer Filters -> Render -> Fractals https://i.imgur.com/uN3QMSC.jpg

Then one of the gmic (experimental section) filters 'Joan Rake Random deformation' https://i.imgur.com/uVLttVK.jpg Unfortunately the preview does not reflect the result. I suspect better with smaller images.

gmic_gimp_qt from http://www.gmic.eu

There will be other ways, the best way with Gimp is experiment.

how to :

- new layer (green)
- new layer white
- filters / noise / RGB noise (slide sliders R, G and B to 1)
- colors / desaturate / desaturate
- filters / blur / gaussian blur (slider value 3.5)
- copy layer white
- mode multiply on layer 'white copy'
- merge down layer 'white copy' with layer 'white'
- set mode luminance on the merged layer  
- if the black dark enough, use colors / brightness-contrast to optimise
This one was done with a plug-in called Felimage Noise. Details here:
http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17775

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Wow! many many thanks!

I really appretiate all your feedback. You have already being of much help but please just two more requests. If you look at this paper marbling video (2:00 minutes), you will see that since the base where the ink is set is liquid the drops of new ink "spreads/expands" the ink for the first "layer". Do you know if there is a way to tell Gimp that when you apply... I don't know how to call it... a color over a color / brush over brush, the base colors "deforms/spreads" around the new color? And also you will see that she uses combs to create swirls and lines, any ideas about that. I used the warp tool but it provides only one "filament/point". I also figured out how to draw a straight line when using the pencil or brush tool, but when you are using the warp tool how do you tell the program to move in a straight line when moving the mouse?

Blighty after your suggestion I search and learn the basics with the gradient tool but how were you able to define so many colors?

Once again thanks!
(11-09-2019, 05:15 PM)3d1l Wrote: Blighty after your suggestion I search and learn the basics with the gradient tool but how were you able to define so many colors?

I didn't make that gradient. It is part of a collection of gradients called Mandelbulb. About 450 of them. Unfortunately I don't remember where i got them from.

The one I used is attached.

Attached Files
.zip   mandelbulb277.zip (Size: 3.57 KB / Downloads: 100)
Rich2005 Gmic is awsome!
Here the Mandelbulber collection.

.7z   468 Mandelbulber Gradients.7z (Size: 609.27 KB / Downloads: 178)

Also, for "marbles" generation have a look at FilterForge.