Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp on go slow
For a while my browser has been crashing on me or 'not responding' but eventually it did. I think I have fixed that now by resetting the browser but now Gimp is doing something very similar. Nearly every-time I run a filter within gimp (It doesn't seem to happen with GMIC) the status bar at the bottom doesn't complete. Sometimes the operations complete and often they do not. 

I don't have a screensaver running on my computer so that is not using up room. I have only used about half my storage too - over 200GB is left on it. Surely I don't use 200 hundred GB to browse the net? My question would be  - what do you think the problem is?

I am using a relatively new gimp 2.8.22
Am afraid to add any more scripts now incase my pc cannot handle it.

My OS is Windows 10 Home 32 bit

Smile
How much RAM have you got?
4GB Ram. At the moment 2.74GB usable

Smile
It shouldn't be a problem to add scripts.

What settings to do you have for Edit>Preference>Environment>Tile cache size? Given your 4GB RAM it should be set to something between 2GB and 3GB. While Gimp is executing the scripts, check if a big swap file is created in your Gimp profile. If so this is likely the problem, Gimp uses that file when it gets short on RAM but that slows it down significantly. There is a balance to be struck between increasing the tile cache (Gimp competes for RAM with other apps) and using the disk cache instead (runs slowly).
Thank you ofnuts that could have been the problem.....Was only in the 2000+ MB's area (about 2 and half GB). I put it back to GB and it went straight to three. I'll leave it there and see what happens.
There is a recently used x.bel on the 27th August 2017 under appdata folder local. (I would have no idea how to open it)
icon cache day before,icon cache.db data base back-up on 19th/March and configuration settings changed on 2nd/March - plus 7 other folders in local modified this month

Another reason I won't add any more scripts/plugins at the moment is I have already taken a few out and some of the ones I still have are not working.
eg I was using 'path to shape' a lot and all of a sudden it isn't even in my plugin folder that I can see, but is still in menu (In fact I have 2 - have had for awhile.
Other ones refuse to work saying there is no path to them but they are in my menus?

Ps. one filter that didn't finish yesterday did today.

Smile
IIRC the .xbel is where Gimp keeps your 'recent files". You can open it with a text editor.

Is your python support still working? Filters>Python-fu>Console and Filters>Render>Clouds>Fog still show and work?
Sad No. failed to execute no such file or directory

I don't use the console, however shellout and layer effects .py are not working either

Smile
(08-27-2017, 12:03 PM)sallyanne Wrote: Sad No. failed to execute no such file or directory

Failed when trying to do what?

(08-27-2017, 12:03 PM)sallyanne Wrote: I don't use the console, however shellout and layer effects .py are not working either

I know you don't, but I need to know if it's functional.
(08-27-2017, 12:28 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(08-27-2017, 12:03 PM)sallyanne Wrote: Sad No. failed to execute no such file or directory

Failed when trying to do what?

I know you don't, but I need to know if it's functional.

Failed when I tried render > clouds> fog.
Plasma and solid noise still work.
Also I tried clicking on console afterward and it came up with execution error.

Smile
OK, so your Python support is dead (Fog uses Python, Plasma & Solid noise don't). If you installed another Python independently of Gimp, then uninstall that. Otherwise, no better idea to suggest but to reinstall Gimp.