Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp stops responding during large rotate
I have a large image that I tried to rotate by some small amount (+0.3 degrees), and GIMP froze solid about three quarters of the way through.  Just confirm I restarted GIMP and loaded the same image and tried the same thing again (thank god I had just saved it).  This time it worked, though it seemed a bit dodgy right at the end, like it almost didn't work.

I'm on 2.10 so if that's the problem let me know and I'll upgrade.  If not, maybe it's a memory issue?  Do I need to do something to make GIMP use more memory?  Or some other issue perhaps.  Let's see, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, not sure what else yall might need to know. Image properties: 5138 x 7042 pixels, RGB color, 17.1 MB file size, 659.6 MB in memory.  I have 16 GB installed on this system, and virtual memory should be good for much more unless Windows has punked me there somehow.
Rotating a slightly larger image (8500x5700) takes 12 seconds n my still decent PC. Make sure that you have Preferences ➤ System resources ➤ Resource consumption ➤ Tile cache size set to a significant proportion of your RAM (10-12GB on your system), otherwise Gimp will self-limit its RAM usage and swap to disk.

If this doesn't solve it, please report CPU usage, RAM usage and disk I/O during the wait.
Might be worth bring up the Gimp Dashboard Dock Windows -> Dockable Dialogues -> Dashboard (bottom of the list)

This same size, 7042 x 5138, but two layers, about 450 MB in memory.

CPU hits 70% on rotation, interesting to see the values alter when using Gimp.

Thanks for the replies, I'll give this a poke again when I am able.