Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GimpChat out?
(01-28-2017, 02:21 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(01-28-2017, 01:00 AM)2-ton Wrote: I put that address into my search bar and it gives me an error message.

You can't use the address directly. You have to refer to gimpchat.com by name in your browser, to let your browser generates the proper HTTP headers, because at the other end, the software supports different forums using different names, if you come with the address alone, it doesn't know which forum you want to talk to.

And to be able to use gimpchat.com in your browser, it's either the regular DNS system (broken...) or your "hosts" file.

Still not working when I  put that name Gimpchat in to my browser Safari. I run on a iMac mid 2011 10.12.2. Sierra
Thank you Ofnuts.
Worked for a short while here. At the moment it seems to be really down.
Maybe someone is working on it.

nelo
    Gld for those who succeeded.
Not me.
This is my updated file
When I searched previously, I also found a second address - 108.160.152.117
I have also put this one into my .hosts file - I hope this was the correct thing to do. (I am a complete novice about such things).
However, I have just been able to open gimpchat in my browser.

david.
(01-28-2017, 10:34 AM)david Wrote: When I searched previously, I also found a second address - 108.160.152.117
I have also put this one into my .hosts file - I hope this was the correct thing to do. (I am a complete novice about such things).
However, I have just been able to open gimpchat in my browser.

david.

THANKS DAVID, by adding your address it works now.
Strange "beast" this Gimp Chat ! ...

edit: ...but "view active topics" only shows only those entered after the "resurrection"

edit2: clicking on "board index" works
(the "view unanswered posts" works...)

edit3: entering "last year" on "view active topics" you get them!

last edit: now "view active topics" works always properly
Dinasset:

My updated hosts file is exactly the same as yours. I am using Windows 10 and both Firefox and Internet Explorer v 11 have worked successfully.
For me, I succeeded in re-accessing GimpChat only after having added David's address.
Maybe it's a matter of internet "zone"...IDK
I cannot figure out what to do. I put this " http://gimpchat.com" into the search bar and this is what I get...I think I need a tutorial, sigh.  (Macbook, Safari, Yosemite)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2-ton,

I don't have a Mac, but I found the following instruction for editing the Hosts file on the internet. I seems to be similar to the method used for Linux.
Hope this works for you.

How to edit the Host file on Mac.

Open a Finder window.
Select Applications from the sidebar.
Double-click on Utilities.
Double-click Terminal.

In the Terminal window enter:
sudo nano /etc/hosts and then hit return.
Enter your administrator password and then hit return.

The hosts file will now be open in the Nano text editor.

add the following lines at the bottom:

108.160.151.87 gimpchat.com
108.160.151.87 http://www.gimpchat.com
108.160.152.117 gimpchat.com
108.160.152.117 http://www.gimpchat.com

Save the file, close the text editor and close the terminal.

You should then be able to open gimpchat normally, as you have done in the past.

david.
When you put two addresses for the same host only the first one is used.