Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grayscale Image Creation (Not Converting)
Hi,

Sorry but i could not find an answer in the chat or in google. I am new and i am looking for a tutorial / Script or any advice of how to make a grayscale image like the one attached. My question is not how to convert an image or photo to grayscale (this is what appears when searching in google) but how to make this specific type of grayscale image a technique that is also some time used in real photos. Any advise / suggestion will be appreciated.

Attached Files Image(s)

It will depend on the source image used. Your example, obviously an illustration, whereas a photgraph is probably going to be more complicated.
However you could try (photograph)
Apply a median blur Filters -> Blur -> Median Blur
Cartoonise Filters -> Artistic -> Cartoon
Desaturate using GEGL C2G  Colors -> Desaturate -> Color to Grey

example: https://i.imgur.com/eQD08xb.mp4

edit:
I was playing with this plugin before suggesting the standard Gimp filters above. Again it is a 'cartoon' effect smoothing the image colours. see: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Additi...5#pid23165 for the link (gimpscripts) to the plugin.  It uses a big Gimp plugin gmic_gimp_qt from http://www.gmic.eu you need that as well.

This procedure:
Apply the plugin which installs to Filters -> Artistic -> Comic Book for 2.10
Makes a very colourful image, so desaturate Colours -> Desturate -> Destaurate
I want the black a little blacker so finally use the color-curve tool.

another example: https://i.imgur.com/W9SMs4A.mp4
Thanks rich2005, Not exactly but it gives me a starting point which i did not have. Appreciate your effort and fast response.
(04-29-2021, 12:27 PM)AdriNat Wrote: Hi,

Sorry but i could not find an answer in the chat or in google. I am new and i am looking for a tutorial / Script or any advice of how to make a grayscale image like the one attached. My question is not how to convert an image or photo to grayscale (this is what appears when searching in google) but how to make this specific type of grayscale image a technique that is also some time used in real photos. Any advise / suggestion will be appreciated.

I tried.
I searched for a color version of this image on the web and found several versions, none exactly in the same dimensions.

Color versions

In none of my attempts did I come close to obtaining the beautiful contrast between the sky and the clouds, nor the shading of the skin like that of the reference image in post #1.

The result of the image in post #1 is really excellent.
(04-30-2021, 03:08 PM)K rikor Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 12:27 PM)AdriNat Wrote: Hi,

I tried.
I searched for a color version of this image on the web and found several versions, none exactly in the same dimensions.

Color versions

In none of my attempts did I come close to obtaining the beautiful contrast between the sky and the clouds, nor the shading of the skin like that of the reference image in post #1.

The result of the image in post #1 is really excellent.

Thanks, Krikor... I have been trying and looking around and have found nothing, of course I am no expert just looking for something to copy or follow. But looking at your profile and seeing you couldn't gives me little hope. Either way thanks for trying and sharing.
It is going to be very difficult with a photograph. Even an image of a drawing might depend on how much time you are willing to devote.

Still looking for suitable smoothing filters. This using gmic_gimp_qt, the poster edges filter.
The original (1) clean up the background a little (2) Apply gmic filter (3) Desaturate (4)

(04-30-2021, 04:04 PM)rich2005 Wrote: It is going to be very difficult with a photograph. Even an image of a drawing might depend on how much time you are willing to devote.

Still looking for suitable smoothing filters. This using gmic_gimp_qt, the poster edges filter.
The original (1) clean up the background a little (2) Apply gmic filter (3) Desaturate (4)

Thanks again rich2005,

This gives me hope again...  Rolleyes   I understand some time in final retouching and line enhancing (for example) will be necessary, unless there is a miracle scrip!!! but this is close, at least i have somewhere to start with. I have not idea how to do it from scratch and its definitely not my intention at this moment and with my knowledge.
I gave it a try. Do you evaluate that my result is so far away ?

No clues as to how I could reproduce this grayscale effect.
I notice that the child's face is different in the two images. I would like to experiment with the original, but still difficult task.
One of my attempts. (Far from desired)

The original was one of those color images of the link I posted before.
(04-30-2021, 08:30 PM)cli345 Wrote: I gave it a try. Do you evaluate that my result is so far away ?

Wow. you are surely in the ballpark not to say nailed it! Did you start with the color image? Do you mind sharing your method?

(04-30-2021, 08:35 PM)Krikor Wrote: No clues as to how I could reproduce this grayscale effect.
I notice that the child's face is different in the two images. I would like to experiment with the original, but still difficult task.
One of my attempts. (Far from desired)

The original was one of those color images of the link I posted before.

Sure you have a clue you are also in the ballpark like cli345. Has it been to difficult? what was your method this time if you dont mind telling? And thanks again for your effort.