Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heal and Clone source
With both the heal and clone tools I can't set a source. The message says ' Ctrl-Click to set a new source' but this does not work. I'm using Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon.
Are you clicking within an active layer?  Is there a current selection set outside your working area?  Try select/none before using the clone/heal tool.
This has been happening for some time. I've tried with a newly opened photo - nothing selected and the only layer. I can draw on it with 'pencil' and 'fill' with a color. But it is not responding to the control key. (Control key works in other programs)
Well, I have a Mint 21 (VM) and clone tool works there.

Some things to check.
Alignment - a single layer and clone in Registered mode does nothing.
Dynamics setting - some of those produce unexpected results.

Otherwise, don't know. Please post a screenshot of the clone tool options dock.
(08-23-2023, 07:36 AM)PeterH01 Wrote: This has been happening for some time. I've tried with a newly opened photo - nothing selected and the only layer. I can draw on it with 'pencil' and 'fill' with a color. But it is not responding to the control key. (Control key works in other programs)

We are just biting our tail trying to guess, give us a screenshot with the clone tool activated and the Tool options in full view as well as the layer's stack in the screenshot.
Patrice
(08-23-2023, 10:04 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(08-23-2023, 07:36 AM)PeterH01 Wrote: This has been happening for some time. I've tried with a newly opened photo - nothing selected and the only layer. I can draw on it with 'pencil' and 'fill' with a color. But it is not responding to the control key. (Control key works in other programs)

We are just biting our tail trying to guess, give us a screenshot with the clone tool activated and the Tool options in full view as well as the layer's stack in the screenshot.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

On my Linux, the Alt-key is hijacked by the desktop so hitting the Alt-key alone isn't seen by Gimp. I can often circumvent this by using Alt-Shif or Alt-Ctrl. The combo is not intercepted and Gimp only cares about the Alt. Are there other place in Gimp where you can't use Ctrl, for instance to put a selection tool in subtract mode, or using Ctrl-click with a paint tool to sample a color?
(08-23-2023, 08:27 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: On my Linux, the Alt-key is hijacked by the desktop so hitting the Alt-key alone isn't seen by Gimp. I can often circumvent this by using Alt-Shif or Alt-Ctrl. The combo is not intercepted and Gimp only cares about the Alt. Are there other place in Gimp where you can't use Ctrl, for instance to put a selection tool in subtract mode, or using Ctrl-click with a paint tool to sample a color?

Most work OK -   but I don't think sample color does. I've never used it so not sure what it is supposed to do but it doesn't seem to pick the color the cursor is on.
By shear chance I tried the other Ctrl key (on my laptop - the one to the right of the space bar ) and it works, so I guess it's something Mint has done. I'll post on the Mint forum and see if anyone has any ideas.
(08-26-2023, 04:20 PM)PeterH01 Wrote: By shear chance I tried the other Ctrl key (on my laptop - the one to the right of the space bar ) and it works, so I guess it's something Mint has done. I'll post on the Mint forum and see if anyone has any ideas.
(08-26-2023, 04:20 PM)PeterH01 Wrote: Most work OK

if most work ok, but not all or irregularly -> Might be your keyboard as well, how old is your laptop? dust? some time ago some liquid on the keyboard?
Patrice