Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help - What's happening here.
So, this has worked as intended before, but then I assume some settings randomly change to stop it from working and I have no idea how to revert it back to working again.

As you can see, if have a base image - created a new layer, set that layer as Transparent and the Mode is set to overlay - It's supposed to colour in - like you can see happening in the layer window - alas, it's not in the main window? Why is this? It's worked before, it works this way in other image editor tools, what's happened here?

[Image: pqC2EfB.png]
Used Gimp for years and one thing is certain. Settings do not randomly change Wink No ghosts in gimp.

Best guess from the partial screenshot:

There is an active selection somewhere. Might be tiny and barely visible.

Try Select -> None and see if you can paint.
(07-28-2018, 05:19 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Used Gimp for years and one thing is certain. Settings do not randomly change Wink No ghosts in gimp.

Best guess from the partial screenshot:

There is an active selection somewhere. Might be tiny and barely visible.

Try Select -> None and see if you can paint.

'Select >None' is greyed out - can't select it

What settings do you need to see? I'll screenshot away.

Also I don't believe you about the no ghosts thing - 'Image > Mode' Randomly changed from RBG to Indexed - which took me too long to figure out and I was hopelessly stuck with white - any help is appreciated - gimp is infurating - Paint.net just works - but doesn't have the depth I need
If it is not an active selection then I do not know another 'obvious' answer.

Locked alpha. - does not look enabled (little icons top of layers dialogue)

Working on wrong layer - does not look like that.

Not a tiny brush.

beats me.

Quote:..Image > Mode' Randomly changed from RBG to Indexed ..

Not random, all depends on the destination image. Paste RGB into indexed you get indexed. Paste indexed into RGB it is RGB.
Layer modes other than Normal do not alter the opacity and your bottom layer is transparent, so you are creating transparent blue pixels.
(07-28-2018, 07:43 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Layer modes other than Normal do not alter the opacity and your bottom layer is transparent, so you are creating transparent blue pixels.

I don't really know what any of this means - Bottom layer transparent? Either way, it worked once, it;s not working now - I have another new issue -

I opened a new image as layer - I can rotate that image - I can't move it - I get a message saying 'The Selection is Empty' - It clearly isn't I can rotate it and scale it, I just can't move it.

More trouble than it's worth this program
(07-28-2018, 09:02 PM)Pumpkin Wrote: I don't really know what any of this means - Bottom layer transparent? Either way, it worked once, it;s not working now - I have another new issue -

In you screen shot, the thumbnail of the layer at the bottom the stack seems to be filled with a checkerboard, which indicates that this layer is mostly transparent. Layer modes do not apply to transparent pixels, in the image below, the Stripes layer covers the whole  canvas, but only has an effect where the Circle layer is not transparent:

(07-28-2018, 09:02 PM)Pumpkin Wrote: I opened a new image as layer - I can rotate that image - I can't move it - I get a message saying 'The Selection is Empty' - It clearly isn't I can rotate it and scale it, I just can't move it.

This is because your Move tool is in "Move selection" mode (in that mode, instead of moving the selected pixels, it moves the selection mask, and to do so there must be one). Reset it to the standard move layer mode:

What worked for me, running GIMP 2.10.6 was:
-In the tool bar, select Windows>Dockable Dialogs>Tool Options
-In the Tool Options window with the "Move" tool selected (the tool I was having issue with), select "Layer" rather than "Selection"