Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help - out of gamut colours / borked palette?
I've been using gimp for several years now, various versions, and usually just ignore the out-of-gamut warnings as I never print anything, and likely never will.

Suddenly today a huge chunk of colours seems to have disappeared from my palette (see image) at some point while I was working, and of course they include hues that I want to use.

I have tried changing to every colour mode, turning off all colour management options, uninstalling gimp and reinstalling the new version ( I was previously on 2.6), deleting my profile, and then reinstalling again, but this problem persists.

Am I missing something obvious (probably...), or has something gone drastically wrong here?

I would appreciate any help / suggestions anyone can give, as I rely on GIMP for my work! Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hello,

Is there the same problem if you use HSV (in the thumbnail, you use LCh) ?
Yes, that was one of the first things I tried. I've switched between all settings on the palette itself, but it's still there.

I did quite a lot of tinkering with the settings before finally giving up and reinstalling/deleting the profile.

I really don't understand how it can persist with a brand new installation and profile. I even went through the registry deleting all references to GIMP before reinstalling!
Try this:

Delete the files colorrc and contextrc in the gimp profile (1). The first holds the saved colors in the recent colors (looks like it is empty anyway from your screenshot) contextrc holds some settings. Both are remade next time you open and close Gimp. You should not really need to do this but maybe something is 'stuck'.

Open the FG color selector (2)  Enable the L slider (3) Go back and enable the R slider (4)

I don't quite understand what the problem is here. What RGB color are you trying to produce? If I enter the same RGB data in y color selector I get the same display as you. Or are you talking about your blank color history?
(04-29-2021, 08:19 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: I don't quite understand what the problem is here. What RGB color are you trying to produce? If I enter the same RGB data in y color selector I get the same display as you. Or are you talking about your blank color history?

Well, I guess this is my question really - is it normal and I just don't understand how the colour selector works?

Essentially I was using #00d9d9, and I wanted to make it darker, so I opened up the colour selector and tried to darken it, and that was when I discovered that there was no way of doing this - it just dipped straight into that really quite different vibrant blue instead. I had never seen such a sudden drop off in the colour selector before, so I assumed something was wrong.

I'd been getting the out-of-gamut indicators on the colours I was using, but from things I had read online it sounded as though you can still use out-of-gamut colours, just not print with them. Maybe I have that wrong as well. Sad
In the Lch model, for a given output gamut (sRGB here, I suppose) there are constraints between L,c,h. So what Gimp it telling you is that you can't just get a darker color (lower L) without altering c and/or h. If you change the dialog to HSV model (which is just a plain mapping of the RGB values), then you can change the V (which is close to the brightness, but not exactly the brightness) to darken the color, but of course you'll have a slight hue change in the Lch model.
(04-29-2021, 09:32 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: In the Lch model, for a given output gamut (sRGB here, I suppose) there are constraints between L,c,h. So what Gimp it telling you is that you can't just get a darker color (lower L) without altering c and/or h. If you change the dialog to HSV model (which is just a plain mapping of the RGB values), then you can change the V (which is close to the brightness, but not exactly the brightness) to darken the color, but of course you'll have a slight hue change in the Lch model.

OK, so I understand what you're saying here I think - that if I switch to HSV I should be able to darken the hue using V. The problem is that even with HSV selected, I can only lower V to ~75 before it changes to this really vibrant blue instead of the pale one I'm using.

Also, looking closer at the colour selector, once V drops below that value, this new colour also shimmers in the selector, as if it is animated, not a flat hue. I can't show this in an image of course, but this is what it looks like with HSV selected (essentially the same as with LCH).

Attached Files Image(s)

Going back to the first post.
Quote:..a huge chunk of colours seems to have disappeared from my palette (see image) at some point while I was working, and of course they include hues that I want to use.

Maybe I am too simplistic but what is wrong to changing the FG select to this type of display ?