Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I Apply a Layer Effect to Just a Selection?
So, I've been viewing the video below as a guide on using the Bevel and Emboss Script Fu layer effect, but I want to apply it to just a selection on a layer instead of the entire layer. How can this be achieved?

Thanks in advance.

Okay, I was able to achieve this by cutting the selection from the layer, pasting it on a new transparent layer, and then applying the effect to that new layer. But it seems like there ought to be a simpler way. Isn't there?
(07-30-2018, 12:51 AM)abajan Wrote: So, I've been viewing the video below as a guide on using the Bevel and Emboss Script Fu layer effect, but I want to apply it to just a selection on a layer instead of the entire layer. How can this be achieved?

Thanks in advance.

Okay, I was able to achieve this by cutting the selection from the layer, pasting it on a new transparent layer, and then applying the effect to that new layer. But it seems like there ought to be a simpler way. Isn't there?

A simpler way is normally to make a selection and call the script, which should then apply only on the selection. But this requires that the script has been explicitly coded to care about the selection, which isn't always the case.
Thanks @Ofnuts  Smile
(07-30-2018, 02:14 PM)abajan Wrote: Thanks @Ofnuts  Smile

Yeah, the filters in Layerfx work with the entire layer. That is why you should learn how to make your designs in different individual layers. layer. Just a thought.