Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I make this?
Can someone show me how to make this image? I've attempted it with mixed results. I think my methods aren't correct. If someone can show me step by step, then I can replicate it. 

So I basically just need a rectangle with curved edges, then put an image of .the arrow on top of it, then put the text under it.

When I do it, I get some strange stuff happening that's really hard to explain.

Thanks!Pic
Quote:...I've attempted it with mixed results..

You are doing the right thing, best way to learn in Gimp is find what works and does not work.

To be truthful, that type of logo is best done in a vector application such as Inkscape. Then it can be scaled to any size you need. If you use Gimp make it the size you want first time round and avoid scaling which introduces fuzzy-ness.

All sorts involved in this so a little video 7 minutes (a long one for me)

Direct link to the video: https://youtu.be/OYaf8bvK4wY
(07-05-2018, 02:22 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:...I've attempted it with mixed results..

You are doing the right thing, best way to learn in Gimp is find what works and does not work.

To be truthful, that type of logo is best done in a vector application such as Inkscape. Then it can be scaled to any size you need. If you use Gimp make it the size you want first time round and avoid scaling which introduces fuzzy-ness.

All sorts involved in this so a little video 7 minutes (a long one for me)

Direct link to the video: https://youtu.be/OYaf8bvK4wY

Wow. That was incredibly helpful! I can't wait to try that when I get home. Would it be possible to make it in gimp and scale it in inkscape? 

Thanks for that. I appreciate you.
Quote:...Would it be possible to make it in gimp and scale it in inkscape?..

No, only the other way round, and of course Inkscape has as steep a learning curve as Gimp. If you are planning on making lots of these types of logo's / icons then getting to know Inkscape is worthwhile.
You could also make everything a path (the arakne plug-in has rounded rectangles and triangles).
Rotate the paths in one go and then stroke/fill.

Might have advantages with complex designs that do not rotate so well, quality-wise, as a bitmap.

(07-05-2018, 02:36 PM)justawfulgamer Wrote: Would it be possible to make it in gimp and scale it in inkscape ?

You can swap paths back and forth between Gimp and Inkscape, by ex- and importing paths from the paths tab as svg files.